Scalely Chicken Foot - Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ladysonja, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Hello -

I could use your suggestions and/or comments regardings my Barred Rocks feet.

I'm sorry for the fuzzy picture. My Camera is on it's last leg.

There are 2 BRs sharing a Medium size dog kennel.
    Age about 12 wks old.
    Purchased from a suggested local feed store.

Their pooh shavings are cleaned every morning with fresh shavings added each cleaning. They are not standing in wet or too poopie shavings.

To help explain the pictures.

The top of #1 BR feet started out looking like scaley scabby sores... about two days ago... 3rd day, it looks like bumps (more than one), but there is no swelling nor do the bumps look like the bumblefoot pictures or discriptions that I have seen thus far on BYC or looking at other websites.

Has anyone had this issue like this? Is this something that could spread to #2 BR?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    when I had an outbreak of fowl pox recently some of my birds got blisters on their feet. Your pic is very hard to make out so I can't tell for sure if that is what it is or not. Are there any spots on the comb and wattles?

3. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I just noticed that you are in Texas also, there have been alot of people in the state that have had fowl pox outbreaks this year. The sores/blisters come up where they have been bitten by mosquitos that spread the virus. It usuallt takes a couple of weeks to run it's course but it is usually not fatal to the bird and is not harmful to humans.

4. Ladysonja

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Interesting... Fowl poxs.

This could explain things... I purchased the birds from a local feed store at or near 10 to 10 1/2 weeks. I am guessing their age is 12 weeks because I have for almost two weeks.

The birds were kept in the feed area that was opened during the day. They were not outside-outside, but where kept in a Feed Warehouse type condition. If there were any mosquotes bites it would have been before I purchased them.

They have been in my computer room since I brought them home.

My 2 BR are hens and do not have combs or waddles.

I purchased 4 others from the same feed store... 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Orp Buffs. The other 4 are much smaller than the BRs so they are in a seperate kennel with no contact with the others.

The #2 BR doesn't appear to have the problem as the #1 BR, but I will keep an eye on all 6. Can Fowl Pox spread to the other 4 hens in the next kennel.

I'll do some more reading about Fowl Poxs and post more questions.

Thank you for your time & sorry about the pics.

5. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    The virus is only spread through direct contact of broken skin with the sores from another bird or by a mosquito bite. A couple of my birds got the wet pox version which causes the blisters in the mouth. Some complications of that could be trouble breathing or eating. The wet version is spread through water food or saliva that is contaminated. Just b/c your birds get the wet version it does not mean cull them.

Take the necessary precautions and clean their water daily. If you are not organic I would start them on an antibiotic, maybe Aeromycin or terramycin. When my chickens got this my local feed store representatives were not helpful at all. They told me it was probably just bug bites. They have no sense at all.

The virus does have a long incubation period so they could have been infected before you bought them.When the virus has run it's course they will never catch it again and they are not carriers.

When they get over this I think you should let your birds out for some "outside" time. All chickens like to do what is natural to them, scratch around and dust themselves. I assume you are maybe building them a coop and that is why they are having to stay inside?

6. Ladysonja

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    kinardmommy -

Thank you for your information. I've checked the girls and my 1 BR is the only one that seems to be inflicted...

I've checked them daily since noticing the bumps on the 1's feet and I do not see any signs of Wet Poxs.

Their water is changed twice a day and their beading cleaned once a day and completely changed approximately every 3rd to 4th day.

They are getting really big and we are about 1 more weekend from having the coop finished. The wire is up in the windows, but the door still needs to be hung.

After reading more on the subject, I am glad to hear that they will not catch this again, but will need to watch the other girls for signs, especially for the Wet Pox.

I've started the terramycin.

Thank you again for your advice.

7. kinardmommy

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't mean any offense by mentioning the need for outside time. I figured you were "in the process" of establishing their housing. We did the same thing with my first three boys we had from the time they were about a week old and they were in the house in a makeshift coop for about four weeks. They had a temporary run outside to go in during the day though. Anyhow, I just wanted to make sure my statement didn't seem bossy. I apologize if it did. I hope everything works out.[​IMG]

8. Ladysonja

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Quote:Oh No... In no way was I offended by your comments... I'm sorry, if I may have come across a bit cross...

I'm greatful for your comments and suggestions... Without folks like you, I would be worried sick still wondering what is wrong with my birds...

Thank you again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by