Scales for monitoring progress

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Buster52, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Hey, y'all. I have read on here that some of you check your progress as the meat chicks grow, from as early as 1 week on. What scales do you use and what technique to you use to secure the bird in one spot?

I have large vegetable scales for weighing after processing, but those wouldn't work on very young birds.

Thanks much!

2. Mon27

Mon27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I weighed mine on a manual?? scale. The kind with the push down top and dial. :) I put them in a little tupperware container, a tall one, and held my hand over the top without touching it.( zero it out after tupperware of course) I friend read the weight so I could just focus on not touching anything. Wait about 5 seconds and they quite wiggling, then grab weight fast. Now the only problem is I have nothing to compare my weights to!! LOL.

1 person likes this.
  3. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Thanks, Mon27, that is very helpful information. I will give that a try.

4. thriftyfarmer

thriftyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Hey Buster52,

Guess who is back on BYC? This Guy!

I can't find the scale we bought for weighing everything, but here is one that is close to the same price and specs:

60 LB Price Computing Electronic Food Scale

Tupperware Idea sounds promising.

Glad to see your still a BYC junkie.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  5. ijon

ijon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Try a fish scale sold at Walmart.

6. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I have a baby scale -- I bought it when our last baby was born with a birth defect, and I needed to monitor how much milk he got with every feeding -- and find it is not too bad. The meaties aren't as eager -- or able -- to run off as my Swedes or bantams are, and I can get a quick weight. Speaking of which...I should weigh some thus evening and see where we are.

7. Mon27

Mon27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Oh good!! I had to weigh my 4 week olds without help today and it wasn't quite as easy. They looked funny stuffed into the Tupperware that used to swamp them!! :)

8. DaveMorey

DaveMorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Westminster, Vermont
    I used a fishing scale. I put the chick in a cloth bag and hang it from the hook on the scale. It worked pretty good. Two week old CX about 1 Lb.

9. Albert23

Albert23 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    Why not you try a scale that have low precision.So that you get the accurate result even that you have a young bird.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  10. Albert23

Albert23 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    I have bought PS-JF2004 which provide me accuracy up to 0.0001 grams. You can easily find accurate results with that scales. There are also some cheap scales with accuracy yuo must try one of them or search on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by