Scales

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SowdersHomestead, Nov 12, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    What type of scale does everyone use when tracking weights?

2. cooking chicken

cooking chicken New Egg

Nov 12, 2011
  3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Fish scale! Great idea! the kitchen type scales you normally get only go up to 11 pounds max and a people scale is normally wildly inaccurate, I've found, depending on what you pay for it.

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Antique (ok, older than I am!) scale found amongst Grandfather's barn before he sold the farm.

A large size Rubbermaid tub (clear, so I can see what they're up to!) with no lid, but high sides so they aren't apt to leap out immediately - the tub is bungie corded to the scale so it won't flip. Weighs up to 25#'s - thankfully, haven't had to go that high with chickens!

I like this one because I can calibrate it (so the weight of the Rubbermaid tub is not part of the equation). And yes, I've tested for accuracy, it's very consistent.

5. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I have a digital fish scale I hang a 5 gallon bucket from, then zero out to not include the weight of the bucket which I use for live weights on things like chickens and baby dwarf goats...all kinda stuff. Cost less than $20 at the sporting goods store...

I also have a digital postal type scale that was around $20 at Wally World...use that for dressed weights, soap making...all other kinds of stuff...

Thirdly I have a really nice digital Bathroom scale that I probably shouldn't take outside (and it never leaves the porch really) but I use that for the REALLY big stuff like turkeys...pick one up, step on, take "our weight" and step off...it's nice enough I can zero it out to NOT include MY fat self! [​IMG] HA! So no one needs see my weight!

One can never have too many quality scales...just too many prying eyes to see how much you weigh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by