Scaley Leg Mite BAD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mckaylaspandas, Sep 13, 2016.

1. mckaylaspandas

mckaylaspandas New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    I have and breed silkies I'm still new it all, I've dealt with lice and always look for bumble foot, well I got 2 girls a month and a half ago, they were/are very sweet and bought them off some people and I quarried them for a few weeks, I asked about the feet as they looked like frost bite the toes seemed...funky...they told me it must be from the winter when they get in their water...it was odd but I didn't think much of it, noticing more though they are bad....REALLY bad and for sure it's scaly leg mites. I need help.
    I've put them in Epsom salt bath for 15 minutes today, then vaselined for now. I have to treat my other guys later this week back at the coop, for now these 2 girls are quarried again, I've read lots about it but I need the proper approach I tried to get ivectmine but it's painfully expensive and I need dosages, I'd it keeps up I'm gonna have to find a vet which is gonna be more costly. I failed to notice these girls feet, I feel so bad I just never paid attention to them as their feet were feathered until I did my normal bumble foot check up...and here I am...
    update
    Their feet look much better after the wash yesterday i left them bee, and today i have soaked again in the salt as well as fed some sbrambled eggs and garlic and rosemary.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Their feet look much better after the wash yesterday i left them bee, and today i have soaked again in the salt as well as fed some sbrambled eggs and garlic and rosemary.

We had someone on the Incubation w/friends thread dealing with them as well.... see if this info helps you out at all and then look at the section for parasites in the notes section link

Scaly leg mite discussion begins... and for some time post #25649 post #26110
    Scaly leg mites kerosene and linseed oil post #58353

NOTES LINKS & Informational POST LINKS - BackYard Chickens Community

I wish you the best!!

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by