Scaley leg mite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mackadoo, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Mackadoo

Mackadoo New Egg

Feb 1, 2017
    I have just lost a second silkie in 8 months to what I believe was scaley leg mite. We tried washing their feet in salt water, giving them a light scrub with a toothbrush, then rubbing with vegetable oil and vaseline. After doing this both silkies went down hill immediately with the first dying within an hr and the second in about 15hrs.

Our silkies are my 7 year old sons pets and he cant cope with the loss. Please help

2. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    look, it has never hurt my chickens ever. I know it sounds cruel but i never have noticed it affected them at all. Go buy some sevin dust, mix half to a whole bottle to 5 to 10 gallons of water and bathe them in it. Generations have been doing this and it has cured all mite problems i have. Also, separate the affected one until it gets well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Was it extremely cold when you soaked their feet? Did they accidentally drink the salty water? Did you dry them inside? I don't know how this could have killed them otherwise, unless something else was wrong. If you have not already buried the last body, I would refrigerate it and send it to your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. I would not bathe them in sevin dust mixed with water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by