scaley leg mites --- again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by verity, Aug 1, 2010.

1. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Okay, I have done an in-depth search of this topic on the BYC forum -- got lots of good idea and started treating with Vasoline yesterday -- we have 5 hens and only one of them has it -- we 'greased up' the others, tho --

I found so much info. but none that tells me "How long does this take?" and ''How do I know when the mites are gone?' Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated --

Thanks, everyone!

Have a happy Sunday --- :)

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    About a week. If it is really bad you might have to re-apply.
    I got given some little tiny OEG Roos. Their legs were really bad with scaley mite. Close to a inch of mite scale.
    I smothered their legs with vaseline, worked it in good between the toes and up the legs into the feathers. I also did around their comb and face.
    I noticed after a week they seemed to feel better and then chunks started to fall off, when I caught them I could pick chunks off. If they didn't come off easy, I left them. Underneath was their true leg.
    I repeated it several times until the legs were clean.

Some people use vaseline and some people use mineral oil.

3. verity

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Thank you , BlackBart --

That was exactly what I needed to know -- I understand about using the Vaseline but I wasn't sure that the scaley 'clumps' would come off ----

I greatly appreciate your help!

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    you can also use ivermectin pour on to kill not only scaley leg mites but other mites and internal parisites but you still have to grease up the legs and feet with vasoline to get their legs and feet back up to snuff. Sometimes it can take a very long time. Lots of folks paint the roosts with DE, poultry dust, or some sort of petrolium product to keep them from coming back again. Having mostly feather footed breeds I have a regular weekly schedule where I slather everyones feet once a week with vasoline on top of the quarterly ivermectin treatments.

5. verity

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    I have used Ivermectin paste for our dogs but never used Ivermect for chickens -- and I didn't know it is available in a 'pour-on' formula --- hope TCS has it!
    Ivermec paste is one of the wormers in the rotation for my horse and mule --

If I can find the pour-on Ivermec, how much to use?

We use DE in the shavings, nest boxes and dust-bathing areas -- I've examined my chickens often for 'regular' mites and have seen none --

The scaley stuff is only on one of the girls -- she seems to enjoy the 'foot massage' (after I catch her!) -- I will start tomorrow to 'grease up' the other four hens --

Is there any benefit from adding a pinch of Tylan to the drinking water?
    (I keep this on hand to treat occasional diarrhea experienced by our dogs)

Thank you for the suggestions!

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Ivermectin pour-on dosage for chickens... 2 (eye-dropper) drops for bantam-size birds... 4-5 (eye-dropper) drops for full-size birds... must be dropped on SKIN only (direct skin contact)... between the shoulders /back of neck... don't eat eggs for 2 weeks after... redose in 10-14 days... so I guess don't eat eggs for a month. [​IMG]

I also use WD40 spray for easy application on legs (esp. feathered legs)... daily for 2 weeks. Soak legs in warm water after several days, rub lightly and the scales will come off easier.

Be patient... there are beautiful chicken legs under all that stuff. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Okay...maybe someone will jump down my throat, but I used a little of the Iver. paste on a little d'uccle DH brought home (also had lice [​IMG] ). We've also been soaking his feet in warm water/epsom salts every two days (which he seems to really enjoy), and lightly brushing them with a soft toothbrush. After drying his feet, we apply a light coat of vaseline. His feet look GREAT compared to a week ago...like normal chicken feet!! [​IMG] I'm very paranoid about him spreading something to my girls when they're introduced, so we're treating (the mites) for two weeks. But I'm 99% sure he's good to go now.

8. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have just decided to try giving ivermectin in their water. The dosage is 1.5cc to a gallon of water for three days. This is my second day, so I am not sure how this is going to work. I have seen this remedy on a couple of websites and it said that their feet would like beautiful and be back to new in no time. It is a lot less mess and not time consuming like pasting their feet with a bunch of stuff. One of my girls has terrible looking feet and some of my other girls seem to not really have any issues. Thought this would be easy to treat everyone in the flock regardless. We'll see.....

9. verity

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Thanks!--

My husband will love the WD4o idea --- as far as he's concerned, there is NOTHING that can't be 'fixed' with WD-40 and Duct Tape ---[​IMG]

This is silly, but I am embarrassed for 'Eleanor' -- she of the scaley legs -- she has always prided herself on her great beauty and she much be chagrined to have the others laughing at her ---

Going to TCS after I have my coffee and see what I can learn there --

Happy day, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by