Scaley Leg Mites or Shedding Scales? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantyChickenLuv, Sep 29, 2012.

1. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    This August, I bought a Bantam Barred Plymoth Rock at the county fair... And am worried she may have Scaley leg mites. As a precaution, I have been spraying her and her coop mates with Manna Pro's Scaley Leg Mite Protector. She may be shedding scales though, I was told she's a little over 2 years now.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her coop mates legs, a Partridge Wyandotte Bantam pullet:
    [​IMG]

Sorry that that pic is blurry, she's not the biggest fan of people.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes that's scaly leg mite for sure from my experience. I dip each leg in a cup of mineral oil (I save it from day to day and fill it up again) daily for two weeks.

You can use vegetable oil or vaseline instead...it smothers the mites. You have to keep it up for 2 weeks. Also it is good to slather the wattles/comb as the scaly leg mite also sometimes attacks the facial area. I also do a dusting of the birds now and in 7 days to get any other types of mites with poultry dust. I also spray the coop down with bleach or permethrin liquid diluted (tossing bedding if there is any...I have sweet Pdz in one coop and bedding in another one).

The scales will go back down eventually. In very severe cases they might lose a foot or have to wait until the scales molt for the scales to look normal again.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Dang... It's weird because only her legs look like that. My other two birds that are kept with her legs don't look like that. I was really hoping she was just shedding scales. :/

4. ChickensAreSweet

I am now treating scaly leg for the third time in my chicken career. Oil works very well. This time I am trying vaseline just for giggles. (Can you tell I love my chickens?) LOL! Some chickens I just bought- only one came with scaly leg but I'm treating everyone.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Same here. I have no clue where she could have got them from. Probably the fair and they just kept getting worse and worse. I will be treating all of them tomorrow with vegetable oil and cleaning out the coop. I have a really big coop so where should I focus on bleaching? The roosts? And is it ok to use the vegetable oil on Cochins?

6. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Anyone else know what I can do? And how exactly do you bleach a chicken coop?

7. ChickensAreSweet

If you are going to bleach be very careful. I have to hold my breath. I'd frankly not do it if you can't just run out of there to take breaths. That stuff is very toxic to breathe.

I have dipped a feather footed chicken's leg in mineral oil but his foot feathers weren't very large at all. It went ok. I don't know about if they have a lot of feathers.

8. ChickensAreSweet

I have a metal shed coop that I spray the walls down with diluted bleach about once or twice a year. But I RUN out of there to take a breath, then duck back in. Aerosolized bleach can burn your eyes and lungs. I wouldn't recommend you do it unless you can ensure that you don't breathe it or get it in your eyes/skin.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon

Well, then I guess I'm not going to be bleaching the coop. I only have one to put them in. So what should I spray the coop down with to keep the mites away? I am going to be dipping mine's legs in vegetable oil in a few minutes. Not sure what to do with my Cochin. :/

10. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I just did one tonight. I'm not sure if I did it right.:/ I mixed vegetable oil with warm water in a medium sized butter tub. Then, I put her in the tub and let her soak for 5 minutes. I took her out and dried her as best as I could, then wrapped her in a towel and put her in the coop. I know for sure it did work because her legs we're very shiny and slippery. They will be dry by morning hopefully. About how long does it take for very slightly raised scales to return to normal? Like so slight it's almost barely noticeable? I will post pics of her legs tomorrow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by