Scaley Leg Mites? *PICS*

MelissaSueGA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Woodstock
Hey guys! I have a 3 month old splash orp roo who is acting a bit off- balance and well.... drunk:/As a newbie I am trying to rule out parasites before I jump to any conclusions about his condition but can only find pics of scaly leg mite that appear pretty far along. Soooo, what do you guys think?
99124_imag0327.jpg

99124_imag0326.jpg

His legs are more willow than slate naturally.
His coop-mates..
99124_imag0329.jpg

99124_imag0333.jpg

99124_imag0331.jpg

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your quick replies, WOW! I am going to to throw ya'll a bit more info and see what you think:
Three days ago I noticed that ths little one-Ethel(but more likely an Eddie)- tripped a couple of times while running around out on the lawn, nothing seemed urgent so I gave everyone some vits and called it a day. However, these past few days I have noticed that he has been standing on one foot to scratch his head and then losses his balance and either catches himself with his wings or toples over. I have also noticed that his knees seem to buckle occasionally. When he is not falling over he is running and jumping and eating up a storm. For the past 24 hours I have been giving him high doses of B-complex and eggs.
This morning I noticed he sneezed twice and there was a bit of clear discharge. The head scratching had me thinking mites/lice but I don't see any. Could he have an ear infection or a resp. illness?
I have also been debating- with myself:)- whether or not to worm. I had noticed some loose poops so I cut down on the supplemental greens they had been getting in their run and 11 out of 12 chickens now have great looking droppings. My EE is the one who is still rather watery. They are all growing steadily but I feel they could be plumped up a bit. I would prefer to bring a fecal sample to the vet before prceeeding with a worming treatment but that might not be feasible. Could anyone give me any tips on the right way to collect for and bring in the samples?
I was having a hard enough time coming to terms with the fact that that it looks like I am going to have to find good homes for 7 roosters:th and now this- poor thing. Thanks for your help- M

I read a post several months ago recommending to use "bag balm" on their legs/feet to prevent leg mites and I did and haven't had any problems and since your still in an early stage if that is even the problem then you might try it.

83761_pets-can.jpg

I rescued a rooster that had scaly leg mites. It was terrible! The scales were completely sticking out from the foot and all jagged. If that is scaly leg it is the very very early stage. You might want to put vegetable oil on the feet and legs just in case (the oil suffocates the mites). Be careful though, if it is too hot where you are, the feet and legs might blister.(The oil might very well cause the feet and legs to roast
old.gif
) If you can bring the chicken into cooler surroundings, go ahead and rub the oil on, it can be just about any kind. Canola, Linseed, or even kerosene.
Good luck, I hope this helps!
hugs.gif

I am in the Atlanta area, its hot, however it does not strke me as heat stroke:confused: I will go get electolytes for them to add to the vits in the water anyways. I have noticed him eating on his haunches this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom