Scaley Leg Mites? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelissaSueGA, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MelissaSueGA

MelissaSueGA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Woodstock
    yes they are panting and holding their wings out but it is hardly the first time. The coop and run are under deciduous trees, so the chooks are in deep shade all summer. I s there any possibility of worms with regular looking droppings?

2. MelissaSueGA

Jul 8, 2011
    Woodstock
    Does anyone one else have any ideas. Just spent some time with the chickens and Ethel/Eddie kept *almost* falling back onto his hocks.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'm sorry your Eddie isn't doing well. From what you are describing, it's an infection somewhere in/on his head; most likely in the ear or sinuses.

Sinus and ear infections can cause extreme issues with keeping balance in pretty much any species, including chickens. The discharge is probably pointing to sinus infection.

Try some antibiotics on the poor guy. The good news is that whatever it is, it doesn't sound infectious to the rest of the flock.

Hope that helps!

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

I rescued a rooster that had scaly leg mites. It was terrible! The scales were completely sticking out from the foot and all jagged. If that is scaly leg it is the very very early stage. You might want to put vegetable oil on the feet and legs just in case (the oil suffocates the mites). Be careful though, if it is too hot where you are, the feet and legs might blister.(The oil might very well cause the feet and legs to roast [​IMG] ) If you can bring the chicken into cooler surroundings, go ahead and rub the oil on, it can be just about any kind. Canola, Linseed, or even kerosene.
    Good luck, I hope this helps! [​IMG]

That sounds just like my rescue, Jasper. We used Vaseline to clear him up.

Before treating:
    [​IMG]

After treating:
    [​IMG]

5. MelissaSueGA

Jul 8, 2011
    Woodstock
    Chicklover98, good job on those legs!

Pele, thanks! As I mentioned I thought ear/resp. infection right of the bat but was trying to rule out any parasite issues before I started dealing with anything else. Ugh, antibiotics:) I have some Sulmet but I know it is rather harsh and I would have to seperate him for a few days to medicate him with that-he is not a happy independent chicken. Any other suggestions for antibiotics(tylan etc.)if he is no better on his own tommorow? Has anyone else dealt with a woozy chicken like mine?

6. MelissaSueGA

Jul 8, 2011
    Woodstock
    Hey, I had to separate him this morning because he was getting picked on. He did let out his first crow this morning so obviously he is not too weak , but obviously something is amiss. He is more unstable today and still scratching his head and then toppeling over. I put gatorade in everyones water last evening and am going for livestock electrolytes as we speak but I don't think it will be a cure-all. So is the general consensus that is is a resp. infection? If so what would be my best bet for an antibiotic? I can pick up some tylan etc. when I am out, what do you guys think? Can you give me any tips on the procedure for injecting or should I proceed with the Sulmet? I would prefer to use something that would be most likely to hit a wide variety of bacteria to cover my bases. What should I be loking for? Thanks Guys

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Given that he is compromised right now, if it's real hot there, get him inside somewhere comfortably cool, witha godo buddy if you can.
    JJ

8. MelissaSueGA

Jul 8, 2011
    Woodstock
    Vet update: Just got back from the vet. Fecal smear came back clean and Dr. says he doesn't see any signs of a resp. disease. He gave a shot of cortisone to bouy the bird and said I might try a worming. We are suspecting a nuerological or genetic issue I guess, and crossing our fingers that tomorrow will be a better day for the little guy. I will continue vits and electrolytes. How do you all feel about the worming given nothing showed up?

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    scratching his head and toppling over....have you looked his head over really close for mites? Did they check his ears? Just a thought.
    sharon

10. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't worm him if the vet says he doesn't have any worms. It can be hard on their system, his symptoms don't point to worms and it's probably not a good idea to give meds when you may have to give different meds for his balance issues.

Sorry I can't help with the antibiotics but I would think ear/sinus issues would be a good start.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by