Scaley Leg Mites? *PICS*

Thanks everyone, I have checked him so many times for mites and lice and am just about to bring him in for another inspection. I have not checked at night yet, so that is on the table for this evening. My only problem with the parasite diagnosis is that I am not seeing scartching in any of the other chickens. I also have not noticed him sneezing since that first day and his nares are dry.... What on earth! He is not improving with supplementation. I am rather confused.

I THINK I FOUND A MITE!!!!! And then I dropped it on the floor.... It looks like the engorged Northern Fowl Mite in the mite chart in the BYC learning center. I am goin' lookin for more.

Whenever clean out the coop, I put a good dusting on Seven dust on the floor, in the bottom of the nesting boxes, and on the perches. Then I cover it with new layer of shavings and hay on top of the shavings in the nesting boxes. So far, the only mite issues I've had was an incident of what looked like scaley leg mites. I actually use plain cooking spray on their legs. It's much easier than trying to rub something on. My girls will pick them up, I spray both legs on one side, then the turn them and I spray the other side. We make very quick work of it. I haven't seen any signs of leg mites since, but I still spray their legs about once a month.
I do agree with Erin~TheChickenLover. I wouldn't put the oil on their legs if they are out in the sun. Maybe wait til just before they go in at night.

Hope your roo is doing well!

Thanks for the reply. The one bug I found on my little rooster was embedded in its head and I had to pull it out with tweezer. I am thinking stick-tight flea. I went ahead and gave everyone a dose of Ivermectin last night and cleaned and then dustyed the coop with poulty dust-the whole nine yards. He was still scratching today and is not improving at all. I am wondering weather it could be an ear issue and the 1 bug was just an oportunist. I really can't find any other bugs on the other chickens. We will see how he is tomorrow. So much for my organic/natural chickens. Thanks- M

I totally understand the frustration with wanting to stay organic.
I know it can be done, as there are many who do. I think my issue is that the decision to cull is not easy for me, so I do what I can to cure.
Just rememeber there is a withdrawal period when you use ivermectin.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I am actually a bit confused about retreating with the Ivermectin. Do I need to reuse it if I am targeting external parasites as oppesed to worms. Also does anyone know how long the poultry dust remains effective. Everyone mentions re-dusting in a weeks time, but it seems that it would not be needed as the dust is indoors and will not be washed away by rain. Whats the deal?
My chickens should not start laying for a month or so, therefore I am not so worried about the withdrawl period- but I do hate chemicals(have not used any of the nasty stuff on myself for years).
I don't know what else to do do for the little guy, he seems much thinner than he was on friday. He is my one bird who does not like to be handled, and with the constant combing over he is becoming really weak. I hope some rest tommorow will help.

I must admit that I never realized that staying natural would be so difficult- I have the cleanest chicken coop you have ever seen(droppings boards-yyeeaaahhh!) and a small number of pet/laying chickens with loads of space. Live ya learn.
Is it possible that it was a normal( human biting) tick and therefore just a random fluke?

Last edited:
Update: I seems it was an ear infection. He has been on antibiotics for 24 hours and is no longer head flicking or scratching!!!! Well at least I have prevented any future bug issues in the hen house with all my cleaning.. gah! Thanks for all your help

Erin~TheChickenLover :

I rescued a rooster that had scaly leg mites. It was terrible! The scales were completely sticking out from the foot and all jagged. If that is scaly leg it is the very very early stage. You might want to put vegetable oil on the feet and legs just in case (the oil suffocates the mites). Be careful though, if it is too hot where you are, the feet and legs might blister.(The oil might very well cause the feet and legs to roast /img/smilies/old.gif ) If you can bring the chicken into cooler surroundings, go ahead and rub the oil on, it can be just about any kind. Canola, Linseed, or even kerosene. Good luck, I hope this helps! /img/smilies/hugs.gif
Hey I know this thread is old but I'm just wondering how long did you wait before introducing him into your flock after treatment?

Back
Top Bottom