SCALEY LEG MITES PLEASE...the weakest bird in my flock has come down with scaly leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Countrypltryfan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Countrypltryfan

Countrypltryfan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    VA/NC line
    ive heard about diesel fuel, Vaseline invermectin, does anyone have experience with this? what worked? male middle Silkie.
    [​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    The most common treatment is vaseline, works best applied once a day. Yours have feathery feet, you could Adams Flea & Tick Mist, sprayed on and rubbed into the feet using rubber gloves. We have a Silkie roo though who gets scaly leg frequently, and we just use vaseline on his feather feet and it is basically ok. WE also soak the legs in slightly warm water with Epsom salts, once a day, or every other day, for about five minutes, you can soak longer though. Just make sure the water reaches all the way up the leg. You can add a few drops of flea shampoo to the water if you want. It takes seven to ten days of this treatment, sometimes more. You have to make sure all the scales are gone, you can gently scrub the legs in the warm water. You can also use any type of oil, Camphophenique, Triple antibiotic ointment. The idea is to smother or drown the mites, and then also bear in mind that there may be eggs which will hatch later, just like fleas, although all should be gone within ten days.

another treatment is to just use a Permethrin bath as a dip for the legs. I don't like that stuff as it's insecticide, but I've been told it works faster than the vaseline. If it is a bad case I crush a baby aspirin to mix in yogurt or something in their food morning and night, to help with pain and inflammation.

Important to start treatment immediately, as they can lose toes from scaly leg, or have permanent damage.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Countrypltryfan

Countrypltryfan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    VA/NC line
    ive delt with these mites before (another Silkie roo)....but Shyguy is now in my house in my brooder cage...though my beau doesnt approve. the poor lil guy is the submissive of the flock.....even the reds and leghorn hens pick on him, he sleeps behind the nesting boxes....right now he seems happy just to be eating w/o being picked on....right now ive got vasiline on his feet, but all you said is wonderful, and thats what ill try, like you i dont approve of pesticides in my birds, and will surely try everything elsewise. i want to thank you so much for taking the time to respond; one thing is for sure, he will surely be spoiled in the next 10-15 days :D

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    You're welcome. [​IMG]

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Our Silkie roo Tweety is like that too, everyone picks on him and he's at the very bottom of the pecking order, but he's the oldest rooster we have and he just keeps bouncing back and mingling with the flock. I learn lessons from him, he's still a happy little guy. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Mix together olive oil and feed-grade sulphur and apply to his legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by