Scaley Leg Mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jacklust, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Jacklust

Jacklust Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Hello, I picked this hen up as a pet yesterday at a farm. I noticed her feet looked bad but didn't think to much about it since I was sure I could cure it once I found out what it was exactly. Plus I felt bad leaving her in there when clearly they don't take care of there chickens [​IMG]. It looks like Scaley Leg Mite am I correct? I've submersed her in vinegar water (KEEPING HER HEAD OUT OF COURSE)- and kept her there for a good 5 mins if not more then I took a tooth brush and rubbed it on her feet for a bit. Some of it I took off with my hands, then put peroxide on it and now I put Vaseline over her feet. Any more advice on home remedies for this? I also think she might have something else I found a tiny lil bug on her crest it was black but didn't see anymore on her body. But I slept with her yesterday and she made me very itchy so pretty sure she has something unless her feet mites could have made me itchy? I don't think it's lice cause it's not constant >_> but i don't really know since none of my chickens have ever had it. Currently I only have her and shes indoors so that will help also [​IMG] I really wanted a baby chick but couldn't find any baby small breed female chicks in Miami FL:(

Her feet after the 1st treatment

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her <3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also could you please tell me what breed she is? They told me she was fully grown.

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. pokemonchicken

pokemonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Ewwwwww [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She has a mille fluer pattern, but can't be a d'uccle because she has no feathers on her feet.

I bought some "lice spray" at the feed store that I spray on the feet first and then on subsequent days I use PAM to spray them.
    They all heal up.

4. Jacklust

Mar 12, 2010
    Thank you trying the pam spray and Vaseline... She has been sneezing a lot today though. Don't think it's because neither of the 2 can it? I haven't sprayed it near her face

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I like WD40 spray for leg mites... easy to spray on... I used it every day for 2 weeks... also warm water soaks after several days of treatment... it softens scales so they will rub off... also use Ivermectin Pour-on for parasites both internal and external (also leg mites)... do a search on here for dosage for her size.

6. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I spray or pour oil on the perches as well.

The latest thing I heard was spraying Scarlet Oil (for horse wounds) on their legs EVERY NIGHT for two weeks. I just started it on two of our feather leggers who keep getting leg scale....one appears to be losing a toe to it [​IMG]. The stuff smells like extra strong pine sol, so not for open wounds.

Good luck [​IMG]

7. Jacklust

Mar 12, 2010
    mmaddie's mom :

I like WD40 spray for leg mites... easy to spray on... I used it every day for 2 weeks... also warm water soaks after several days of treatment... it softens scales so they will rub off... also use Ivermectin Pour-on for parasites both internal and external (also leg mites)... do a search on here for dosage for her size.

Is the WD40 safe? I think I may have sum [​IMG] do the mites ever go on chicken bodys or just stick to legs?​

8. Jacklust

Mar 12, 2010
    So far shes looking A LOT better then when I got her. I am so happy I took her I feel so bad for the others [​IMG] wish they were more responsible. Does anyone know if theirs anyway to report something like that? Or would they just kill all the chickens? There was one on the ground dying being trampled on by all the other chickens [​IMG]

[​IMG] her feet are a bit irritated thou so I guess I'll have to wait to try the WD40 currently sticking to the Vinegar baths and Vaseline/Pam spray
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:Is the WD40 safe? I think I may have sum [​IMG] do the mites ever go on chicken bodys or just stick to legs?

WD-40 is one of the most dangerous products on the market. It is a carcinogenic, as in it causes cancer. I wouldn't use it on any living thing. Vaseline and Pam are much better options.

10. Jacklust

Mar 12, 2010
    Wish I would have taken pictures of her feet before the first 2 treatments they looked really deformed so I'm really happy they are getting better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by