Scaley Leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horseluver2me, Aug 19, 2013.

1. horseluver2me

horseluver2me Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    North East Oregon
    i recently got word about someone wanting to get rid of chickens, the lady wanted to get rid of them because her Father in law was just a collector didn't do any thing with them well when i went out there it became a rescue mission because their pen had so much garbage and broken glass in it as well as it being just sand no green stuff and all they were fed was corn. there were a couple dead birds as well. i grabbed as many as i could but i only brought 2 pens with me and could only fit so many. well a couple weeks later a friend of mine notices that they had raised scales so i looked at the rest of them. one of the hens had no scales left on her legs and last night when i went to treat for leg mites i noticed her leg was bleeding. is there something i can use to help prevent infection? i cleaned their legs really well with warm soapy water and smothered them with oil. will her scales grow back? i do have to say that most of the hens enjoyed their "pedicures"
    thanks for any help :)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not an expert on mites, but I think they will grow back, but leg mites are tough to get rid of and take time. Castor oil is supposed to be excellent for smothering the leg mites, and is supposed to not need re-applying very often.

3. horseluver2me

horseluver2me Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    North East Oregon
    i have recently mixed our own feed (costs us about 6.00 a month for feed instead of 30) and in doing so have added garlic powder i have been reading that it will help keep mites away and help to get rid of them. i am doing this in addition to cleaning their legs in warm soapy water and smearing them with oil :) we will see how well it works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by