Scaley leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrs clucks, Aug 23, 2013.

1. mrs clucks

mrs clucks New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    Oliphant ON
    My new rooster has scaley leg mites really bad, any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many use vaseline or cooking oil on the legs, but someone recently has been having good luck with applying castor oil and rubbing it in deeply. Apperently it doesn't have to be reapplied as often. It takes several weeks to get rid of, and I would probably give a mite treatment too such as Ivomec or Eprinex topical solution (from the cattle aisle) 1/2 ml on the back of the neck between feathers.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would coat his legs with Vaseline, or dip them in cooking oil. Re-apply the oil/Vaseline every few days. You can also soak his feet in warm water to soften the scales and clean away a build-up of mite debris.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I do a dip in mineral oil daily of each leg. I treat for at least 2 weeks to smother the mites. Some use vaseline, some use veg oil, etc. (as the others said) and as long as it smothers them it should work OK.

I would also treat the coop and birds for other types of mites with some poultry dust, repeating in 7 days.

5. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I bought some bantam hens that had very bad leg mites. I used "bag balm" which is a menthol smelling vaseline based product for dairy cows with sun burned udders. I only treated the banties once and it was gone. I rubbed it up against the scales and then all around and worked it into their skin. I was very happy it was a one time deal treating them with it. You can buy it at the TSC and is in a small green can plus it is not expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by