scaley leg mites???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gumshu69, Mar 9, 2014.

1. gumshu69

gumshu69 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    [​IMG]
    so I adopted 4 hens. 3 of them have terrible feet. 2 of the 3 have deformities that won't allow them to roost and what I believe to be scaley leg mites. the third has normal feet aside from the mites. here is a pic right after washing and scrubbing them. can anyone confirm mites?

Sorry Enola, I was trying to upload with my phone but it wasn't working...How bout now?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

No pictures. ......

3. gumshu69

Feb 7, 2014
    Pic uploaded...

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Yes looks like scaley leg mites. I use mineral oil or baby oil to dip their feet and legs. Once a week all the way up to the feathers on the legs. Every week until the legs are shiney with new scales.

5. gumshu69

Feb 7, 2014
    I am going to pic up some VetRx tomorrow. I know the first step was cleaning so now i have confirmation. I don't think these girls were very well taken care of so I want to get them back up to health. As far as the 2 that have deformed feet, should i do something special for them since they can't roost? They have no nails and their toes seem very short and bent to the side on both feet. they don't seem to be in pain, they walk, eat, poop, just fine. At this point, the two just make a nest in the corner every night and sleep together.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of their feet? Could they have lost tips of their toes from frostbite? Chickens can lose a nail from tearing it off.

7. gumshu69

Feb 7, 2014
    I'll get a pic of the worst one tomorrow. I believe it is from frostbite but I'm no professional. I just want to make sure they are comfortable. My 10 year old daughter helped with the bathing today and she is very concerned for their quality of life.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  8. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Definitely coat those legs in oil regularly. Olive oil or baby oil work fine...just make sure to really brush it on good. It should solve the mite issue. If you have birds that cannot roost, you can make them a sleeping platform that they can climb up on and sit without having to be on the ground. It will require some cleaning because of the mess, but it will make the birds more comfortable.

9. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, guys. I noticed yesterday that a couple of pullets that I bought ages ago as tiny chicks have a covering of crusty scales on their feet, makes them look dull and scabby instead of shiny and yellow. I´m guessing it´s scaley foot, so I´ll treat with whatever I can find here according to what I´ve read on this thread. I should be able to find petroleum jelly. I saw that mentioned somewhere.
    My question is that they´ve been free-range with a couple of cockerels. The cockerels have no visible sign of anything. Nice yellow feet. How long does it take for scley foot to develop, and how contagious is it?
    When I bought the pullet they weren´t in very sanitary conditions, so I kept them separate from my flock for a while, but I never thought about scaley foot, as I´ve never had this problem here. All my chickens are free-range, so will I have to do all their feet, just the four that are together, or just the two that have it? And however am I supposed to clean up their roosting area? Trees? Do I scrub the branch with something? What? Thank you.

10. gumshu69

Feb 7, 2014
    Here's the advice I used that helped me. Olive oil, dip their legs, every bird you have, every 5 days, for 2 months. The legs on mine started looking better after 2 treatments but it took 2 months for them to start looking normal again. As far as the coop, Clean it thoroughly and dust it from top to bottom with food grade diatomaceous earth. Then put your bedding down. From what I understand, these mites are carried by every wild bird. So, If they have access to places that wild birds do, they will be exposed. This is what worked for me. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by