Scaley Legs & diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JKehler, Oct 30, 2009.

1. JKehler

JKehler New Egg

Oct 30, 2009
    Hi I'm new to BYC Forum...and am really hoping you can help. I've got 1 girl out of 6 that has the following symptoms. Scaley legs, diarrhea, droppy tail feathers, and all around not happy acting. So far I've treated her with: apple cider vinigar & yogurt, dipped her legs in flea/tick shampoo, and coated with mineral oil & shampoo mixed, treated her coop with sevin...

All her friends are fine, and the rooster is great...but I'm only getting 1 egg a day, and now none of them seem to be interested in their feed - they are still chasing me for pizza crust and rice & eating any moving insect. I've got light in their coop 24/7, and they are outside all day.

I free range, so it is hard to get a good poop sample. I haven't isolated her yet...but I'm going to today if she doesn't show some improvements.

Any other ideas - I'm not really fond of medication if there is a natural way to deal with this.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I would not have the lights on 24/7. everything needs to sleep, I would think. I would separate her, if for no other reason, but to monitor her intake and output. and I would make it darker, for her to rest. I may put just plain ole vasoline on her legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by