scally leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by M.J, Feb 9, 2008.

1. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    by birds are spreading scally leg and i have been tring to end it with petrolium jelly aswell corn oil but they both seem not to completely work as well are vary inconvieniant for i have to apply it to them all twice a day for several weeks is there any thing easyer and quicker

2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I;'ve been using Pam Cooking spray. Just hold them by the wings and spray. You have to do it many times, but i just grab mine once and awhile and give them a spray.

3. M.J

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    thats a smart and cleaner idea thanks Dodgegal79 i will try that

4. M.J

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    see the problem i have is that i want my birds to be healthy but i also show my bird and when i use the petrolium jelly it destroys their feathers:/

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    W-D 40 works as good as anything

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Get a little bottle of peppermint oil at a health food section in grocery store. Its about $10 or less. Put olive oil on legs and a little peppermint oil. The peppermint is a natural insect reppelent. You will probably never have troubles with scaly leg again. Also if you can get a small cocentrated bottle of flea and tick stuff for dogs and cats and just put a drop or 2 in corners of the coop.
    That being said I am not a vet and am not practising medicine so apply at your own risk, I have had excellent results with these methods myself. [​IMG]

Sometimes when I wash my birds I will add a drop of peppermint oil to bath.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I got this info from a show silkie breeder said to use Vicks jelly on their legs and zip, it worked! I had used petroleum jelly and spray stuff and it was so stubborn to get rid of the scaley legs and once I used that Vicks, it got rid of it pronto and never came back again. Whatever was in that stuff made it gone. I also use DE around the coop and perches and yard.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Its the menthol which is the ingredient in peppermint oil also.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Thanks, thats the ingredient! Yes peppermint is great and my birds like to eat the peppermint plants in the summer. I wonder if that would get into eggs otherwise I would have to make chocolate cakes out of those peppermint flavored eggs![​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by