1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

scalped baby... any hope?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmaddie's mom, Aug 2, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Mom hatched 2 babies 2 days ago and has already walked away from the rest of the eggs. This baby was hatched later when no one was around. I found it newly hatched, crying and cold. I have a broody hen so I placed it under her and all seemed well. Came out last evening and found that broody hen had kicked the baby out and it had been pecked in the head. Last night I placed it under mom with the other two. This morning I got a better look at the wound and it is not good... basicly scalped. I cleaned it and put on anti-biotic ointment. He is now separated (in the house) and on a heat pad with a stuffed toy chicken "momma". What more do I do? I have Poly-visol drops... how much? I have electrolyte powder in a packet... but how much do I mix for,say, a gallon. What else can I do for this baby? Is there hope? He seems weak but also seems to have a will to live, peeping and trying to stand. His eyes seem to be unharmed but everything in between is raw. Any suggestion and prayer would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Basically you are doing what needs to be done.
    I would just sprinkle a little bit of electrolytes in the water-tsp or so and about 5-6 drops of PolyViSol(without iron).
    They are tougher than they look.
    Hope your baby makes it.
    Also, keep an eye out for infection.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Its now a waiting game to see if the chick makes it. This happened to me last year and sadly the chick didn't make it. I hope yours pulls thru for you. 1/4 tsp of vitamins and electrolytes per gallon of water is the dosage IF its a packet called VITAL if its blue ribbon brand I believe thats a 1/2 tsp per gallon dosage. Neosporin on the wound to keep it moist or any triple antibiotic ointment without the pain reliever in it. I flushed the wound on my chicks head with sterile saline solution before re applying the antibiotic ointment.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Thanks for the replies!
    At least he seems content right now. I read on another post that a baby will push up against the mommy (so as not to get squished) and this is exactly how he is right now... pushed up against and under the wing of the stuffed "momma"! ... not crying any more.
    Keep praying!

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Awwww, good luck with your chickie.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by