Scalped Quail - GRAPHIC PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsBrooke, Dec 6, 2014.

1. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I was moving my quail from their brooder to their outside hutch when one sprang up and "boinked" the ceiling of his brooder, just as they have done THOUSANDS of times.

Well... THIS time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He did a great job of giving himself a hair cut... Maybe a little TOO much off the top??

This one scalped himself. Immediately, I saw a trickle of blood, moved all the others, and came back to him.

I cleaned the wound with saline rinse and put some triple antibiotic ointment on him as best I could. I can tell he is uncomfortable... He literally peeled the top of his head off. :(

Here he is after I cleaned him up and put some ointment on him...

[​IMG]

The plan is to keep him isolated in the brooder until he scabs over and heals. Twice daily treatment of saline and AB ointment.

I have liquid Tylan 50, Sulmet, and TerrVet powder. Since I caught it immediately, I'm hoping to stave off infection.

Here he is now... Resting in the brooder-turned-infirmary.

[​IMG]

Poor little guy. :( Is there anything else I can/should be doing??

Thanks!

MrsB

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Bump for experienced eyes. <3

MrsB

3. Dispatch273

Dispatch273 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Connecticut
    I have no advice to offer but OUCH! Poor little dude! I hope he heals up quickly and gets to join the others in no time. Good luck!!!

4. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    My button quails used to that all the time it used to freak me out. Just keep it clean and it should heal up.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by