Scalped Rooster after Cock fight... what should we do?

MadamePoulette

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
So, we had our first cock fight... Our Silver Phoenix Rooster attacked our Mille Fleur Rooster yesterday and completely scalped the back half of his head and tore of the half of his comb. When we noticed what had happened, the Mille Fleur was in rough shape. We isolated him, gave him medicated feed, rooster booster and anti fungal/antibacterial cream on the scalped area. In all honesty we figured he would be a goner by this morning but he is surprisingly very strong and very calm during application of the cream. What should we do now? We are going to keep him separated from the rest of the flock for now in hopes that he makes a full recovery and "Rob", our Silver, has been removed and will be leaving us next week.

If you didnt peal off the fallin off area you can always super glue it back together, that will prevent it from getting stuff inside of there.
smile.png

i'll try that in the morning. I think there is a small piece still there. Thanks never thought of that....

For missing skin injuries or skin tears on any animal, I use EMT gel. It encourages skin growth by putting down a collagen matrix. I have used it successfully on scalped chicks, and also use it on dogs when they get skin lacerations that are too small to bother suturing. Actually, we have used it on ourselves too - it's labelled "For ALL animals").

You can find it at Tractor Supply and also online lots of places.

Back
Top Bottom