1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I put a new GLC pullet (3 month old, fully feathered) into the GLC pen last night. When I checked on her this morning, she was huddled in the corner but okay. I moved her back into the coop and when I came back out to check on her, she was standing with her head down and two of the others were pecking her head. I could see her skull and blood was everywhere...there was a flap of skin and she's scalped on the back of her head.

I scooped her up and got it all cleaned out. I put on some blood stop along with some neosporin and put gauze over the wound. I then tied gauze cut into strips around her head and secured it with a couple band aids. I managed to get a few drops of antibiotics into her. She is resting quietly now in a dog crate in the house...the bleeding has almost stopped and she's talking a little, too...occasionally opening her eyes.

Can I give her aspirin?

We have some made for dogs...not sure what the mg is...but I can check...

She's very sweet and a daughter of Clementine...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Okay, I looked....it's:

Enteric Coated Aspirin

81mg each (for dogs)

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Isn't aspirin a blood thinner? With a bloody injury like that, it would seem you might want to avoid blood thinners. For pain management in chickens, I've often seen Metacam recommended. Poor thing. Get well soon.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I wouldn't give her asprin right now. Maybe later after she's clotted up really well and if she seems to be really stiff and in pain. Asprin is a blood thinner so I'd avoid it for now.

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Buy some wound kote spray it on her wound and watch it magically regrow.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

She's still alive...I just took her out & got some electrolytes into her...(using a syringe into the side of beak). She did swallow some but seems to be going downhill...so I'm hoping that will help...I'll go to town tomorrow and get some more supplies. I do have Cut-Heal which is the same as "wound heal" I think? I used it on horses and it does wonders...so I can try that...right now, I'm just trying to keep it clean and stop the bleeding...poor thing...

I also have inject-able baytril but I've never given it before.

7. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
  8. Rare Feathers Farm

Thank you!

9. Rare Feathers Farm

I also found some "Clindacure 20ML" in our animal section of our medicine closet...can I use this on chickens?

10. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I've never heard of it. You might want to start another thread to ask about the various meds and proper dosage for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by