Scalping of Buff Orpington Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eclipse390, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Eclipse390

Eclipse390 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So, title says it all. My BO literally was scalped 2 days ago. This is the second hen that has had this injury, the first was humanely euthanized since her jaw was also shattered. I've posted in a farm group on Facebook and there have been many theories - another hen, a young hawk with crappy depth perception, a rat, something sharp. The first hen was found in the morning as I was letting them out. My BO was found at night as I was putting them away. I'll post pics, they're grusome. So far we he stitched her scalp back to flesh that is still attached. The eye is beyond saving, but we cannot enucleate because there is no viable tissue to close. She's on Meloxicam for pain and topical antibiotics. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Could be lots of things but a raccoon will go for the head to kill the bird quickly so they can feast. When birds escape the grasp, they end up scalped.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eclipse390

Eclipse390 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Huh....that's interesting. I saw one of my EE hens attack her after she was injured, not sure if she is the culprit or not. I was thinking about getting a roo to establish some order in my flock and to add some protection

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by