Scaly comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smoon, Oct 15, 2016.

1. smoon

smoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    What is wrong with my hen's comb? It's got scabs and dried blood and it's peeling. I don't think she gets picked on as she IS the bully in the group. The weather has not gotten below 50 degrees here. Is there something I can give her to make it normal again? Her behavior seems fine.

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like she has Fowl Pox which is usually from mosquito and insect bites. Fowl Pox will generally resolve on it's own in a few weeks.
    You can apply some Iodine to the scabs to help them heal and dry up, but don't pick the scabs off, let them be.

Make sure you are keeping your water stations clean and sanitized.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since her combs looks black like dried blood, I would guess that she may have had one chicken stand up to her bullying, and perhaps retaliated. Sometimes they can also cause comb injuries by hurting them on something around the coop, such as something sharp or fencing.
    Fowl pox can look similar, but that looks a little more like pecking wounds to me. If it is peck wounds, it should heal withing a few weeks. It may turn yellowish or whitish as it heals.

4. LyonsZoo

LyonsZoo Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    I have 4 chickens that have something wrong with their combs or beaks. What is this? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by