Scaly leg mite BAD

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mckaylaspandas, Sep 11, 2016.

1. mckaylaspandas

mckaylaspandas New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

I have and breed silkies I'm still new it all, I've dealt with lice and always look for bumble foot, well I got 2 girls a month and a half ago, they were/are very sweet and bought them off some people and I quarried them for a few weeks, I asked about the feet as they looked like frost bite the toes seemed...funky...they told me it must be from the winter when they get in their water...it was odd but I didn't think much of it, noticing more though they are bad....REALLY bad and for sure it's scaly leg mites. I need help.
    I've put them in Epsom salt bath for 15 minutes today, then vaselined for now. I have to treat my other guys later this week back at the coop, for now these 2 girls are quarried again, I've read lots about it but I need the proper approach I tried to get ivectmine but it's painfully expensive and I need dosages, I'd it keeps up I'm gonna have to find a vet which is gonna be more costly. I failed to notice these girls feet, I feel so bad I just never paid attention to them as their feet were feathered until I did my normal bumble foot check up...and here I am...

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Mkaylaspandas! !! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

The scales on the legs of healthy chickens are smooth and lie flat. If your chickens' feet start to peel up, flake or look rough or uneven, they could be suffering from leg mites. Soak their feet and and legs in warm water, then scrub with on old toothbrush dipped in white vinegar/garlic juice mixture. Let dry then apply some olive oil mixed with some cayenne pepper and a few drops of Tea tree or orange essential oil, every day, until the crust and old scales fall off.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Put "scaly leg mites," in the search box and several articles should appears- it does appear like there is also some frostbite damage

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
  7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Try spraying on DW-40. It may seem harsh but they are nasty little buggers, very hard to kill, and it will kill the mites within 3-4 treatments

1 person likes this.
  8. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

I got my ivermectin from a vet, they just sold me a small amount in a vial because they buy it in bulk. Being that it's chickens and most don't really treat them anyway they may sell it to you over the counter without you needing to bring them in and pay for a visit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by