Scaly leg mite question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Dec 29, 2013.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Someone told me that treating scaly leg mites with petroleum jellly and soaking is cruel. From what I've read, this is the most common treatment, we have done it many times, and I never felt that I was being cruel to the birds. What does everyone else think? I was told to use Permethrine. We have that stuff, but it is SO NASTY, you are supposed to wear a face mask, gloves, and entire protecctive clothing when using it, and I just don't want to!!!! Thoughts?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know what would be cruel about it. It's a common treatment, although people use other salves, even things like Pam. You can also use any type of oil based product, such as cooking oil. I suppose if you used a lot and their legs got full of pine shavings, it might be problematic for the birds. I understand it's a good idea to wash the legs first, even just with soapy water, but also using a gentle brush to lift the scales a bit.

I've never read that permethrin was that nasty, but I'll take your word for it that you found that somewhere. Certainly not treating leg mites is not an alternative, IMO.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We've used it on the birds before and that's what the directions said to do, is wear all that protective stuff. I just don't like it, or any insecticides really. I can't imagine how it would be cruel, either, to treat with petroleum jelly, we always do. And I warm it even when it's cold out. [​IMG] We usually wash the legs first and soak in slightly warm water with Epsom salts. I read recently that one of the best things to use is Camphopenique. I'm going to try that.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Leg mites will eventually eat right through a chickens foot or leg. Burnt motor oil, WD-40, vaseline, pam etc...all will work given time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Yeah we had a little rooster lose a toe due to leg mites once. They are horrible. But fortunately, we haven't had any problems eradicating them, from the individual birds, just is time consuming.

6. Naturalway

Naturalway Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    Yes I'm in the middle of treating four of our girls. We deep fried egg rolls and I saved the cooking oil. So every night now for a week I have been dipping their feet right before beddie bye time. Hopefully this will do the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by