scaly leg mites but i have more questions **FUNNY UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dar, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I know there is already many many threads about this but i have not been able to find the information I am looking for.

1) Has anyone used or heard of this product?
    http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=SLT
    1B) if so does it work?

2) Vaseline, I have read that its a weekly treatment.
    I am going to go to the coop tonight and cover every ones legs. I will go again on Monday the 4th. I leave for Vacation on the 5th and get back on the 13th. If I re treat on the 13th when I get back is that to long between treatments?

3) I have just this morning cleaned ALL the shavings out and put in 4 fresh bags and then I noticed my EE with funky scales and had DH grab her (she is not the friendliest chicken) I looked at everyone and she seems to be the only one affected. I have treated the roost with DE and the new shavings. Do I really need to empty the coop and waste the brand new stuff?.. (I hope not thats $30 I dont want to fork out again this week)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    anyone?

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    There are actually two methods to rid your birds of scaly leg mites. One is the vaseline method, which you seem to know about. The other is to mix a teaspoonful of permethrin liquid into a quart of mineral oil (actually any similar oil will work. Immerse the bird's legs in this mixture for a minute or so, and this is usually the only treatment needed. If the scaly crust is really thick, you might want to brush off most of the stuff before immersing the legs in the mixture. The oil/insecticide mixture will penetrate much more quickly than the vaseline, and kill the mites quickly.

As to the vaseline, you will be fine by applying the vaseline a day or two early or late. The vaseline is much thicker than the mineral oil, and will not penetrate to the mites as quickly, that's the reason for multiple applications.

4. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:permethrin liquid what is this and is it something i can gat at the feed supply store?

5. Quote:permethrin liquid what is this and is it something i can gat at the feed supply store?

Isn't it the stuff that you use to kill fleas,If it's what I'm thinking of. be sure to use gloves, But you can put it at petsmart, or a regular pet store. But read the direction carefully. I think I had rather stick to Bag Balm. but the brushing off soumds really good idea. marrie

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    ok so what I have done is:
    I looked on line for treatments for scaly leg mites and I *permethrin liquid*. All kids of results came up and in fact its apparently a very good treatment for scaly leg mites. Then I got thinking now what would that be called in Canada. So I google searched that. Guess what came up? NIX the head lice treatment. So I went to the pharmacy and I asked the pharmasist for the NIX she asked me how bad the infestation was?.. I kinda stammered a little bit and I said its not for head lice [​IMG] So she brought the tone and volume of her voice down and cleared her throat and asked "then what is this for?" It was funny I swear she was looking for a camera over my shoulder and she started laughing. She said she has treated a horse before, and I Parrot but never a chicken. Then she asked If I sell my eggs...lol I took her number and told her i will call her when I get back

ETA: I wound up getting the 5% cream because its a one time dosage and it would stay on the legs better then the lotion.

I think I will treat everyone just to be on the safe side... what do you think?

o yeah and this product is intended to treat scabies on humans [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by