Scaly leg mites, feathers falling out, bumble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MomMommyMamma, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Of all the chickens, the ONE that I *promised* one of our sons that we would never sell or kill (unless to put her out of some misery or something), is the ONE with issues. None of the other chickens show any of the symptoms. So here is what I'm facing with Goldie...

Bumble foot - I must be the most inept bumble squeezer ever...it just won't go away. It looks good for several days or even weeks, then the same foot develops bumble again. I have used the tutorials here to treat it. I soak it, slice it, clean it, pull the bumble out, squeeze it, clean it, put goldenseal powder on it, and she looks great, but only for a while. In this pic, the dark "x" on the top of the foot is goldenseal powder that is crusted - not infection or dead material.
    [​IMG]
    Scaly leg mites. She's the ONLY one with them. We've tried vaseline, olive oil, a lineament (I think - don't have the tube right here, it was recommended here for stubborn cases). We have treated her daily several times over the last year for two weeks at a time. Her legs look better, but the brown scales never go completely away. She has brown scales - not big build ups or anything like that. She has yellow legs, but brown scales around her ankles on the front (the brown stops just above where the picture ends above) - which we had been told is mites. The scales are slightly raised in this one area.

Feathers below her vent are falling out. At the end of winter we noticed that she had some poo building up below the vent. We washed her, trimmed the feathers in that area and all seemed fine. Now she's losing feathers there (you can see bare skin), and the feathers that do remain have what I looks like a sort of build-up on them. The bases of the feathers are kind of fluffy looking with dirt/dander/poo. We've been dusting her, the flock, and the nest boxes with poultry dust.
    [​IMG]

Please give me some tips here. I'm thinking maybe Ivermectin?? I've never used it. Not sure the best way to give it or how long to toss the eggs for. She is a great layer, I'll give her that. She's a "mutt" so I'm really surprised that she's just had such a tough time (in comparison to the rest of the flock anyway). On hand I have Wazine & Safe Guard (for the goats). If I can use either of those, that would be great. As with so many others, money is pretty tight right now.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How about Sevin dust for the leg mites? Mix it with the Vaseline or whatever to make a paste and apply. Sevin is the recommended treatment for mites. Wazine and Safeguard will do nothing for them. Ivermectin should, but so should Sevin. Leg mites do take a while to heal.

Have you seen the noninvasive approach to bumblefoot? I've never had occasion to try it, just read about it here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829

3. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:Thanks! Looks interesting! Might be well worth a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by