Scaly leg mites...HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jan 23, 2009.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

How do I treat scaly leg mites, and can ducks catch scaly leg mites?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I got one from a sale that had leg mites and body mites. He was a mess. I put him in a small pen seperate from the others and sprinkled Seven dust on him and the ground several times. 2 times a week for 2 months I coated his legs with Vicks Vapor Rub. This is not the only way, but it worked and he is now a clean healthy bird.

3. SundownWaterfowl

I dont have any vicks. What else will work? I heard keroscene.

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've gotten rid of them by soaking the hen's legs in mineral oil for about 2 weeks. Put it in a tall deep container (I used a large cottage cheese container) and soak each leg for a good minute or more.

5. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Vasalene (sp)...any thick petrolum product. I have heard even bacon greese. BTW, I don't know if the ducks will get it.

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Any oil or vaseline should work, you are basically just depriving them of oxygen & smothering them. HTH

Not sure about transferring to ducks but I don't see why they would be any different so I would also treat the ducks - no harm no foWl..... [​IMG]

7. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    You can use vasaline, cooking oil (liquid or the spray kind) this is the easiest to use! Ivomec Eprinex works pretty good and so does the vicks.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have been using the vasoline method on a few of mine but one of the hens keeps getting them back. Now i am trying scarlet oil on her and it seems to be working better than the vasoline IMO

9. SundownWaterfowl

Im not positive that they have it, but because I just bought them at the NEPC show, I want to treat them anyway. I found a post where nifty chicken said that one of his girls had it, so I followed the advice and mixed some teatree oil with vasaline, and applied it, and made sure to rub it into the scales. The scales arent very raised, jut a tiny bit.

10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    1 part kerosene 3 parts mineral oil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by