Scaly Leg Mites in Feathered Feet

Fern Valley 4H

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Middlesex County, MA, USA
Hi, recently discovered scaly leg mites in my Silkies (3 of them each about a year and a half old). I would say the amount is moderate as there are several crusty spots, but nothing is hindering their movement or behavior (I have noticed them doing little coughs/sneezes frequently, though) other than that they are very alert/comfortable. I have researched scaly leg mites for non-feathered feat and was wondering if techniques are the same for feathered feet or if there are tips I should know for treatment. I am only interested in natural remedies, no pesticides yet. Also how quickly do leg mites progress, and do they often infect other areas as well? Can they kill them? I currently have acv in water (hoping to clear up their little coughs) and feed them herbs from the garden like rosemary and basil. They are mostly free-range, but I have separated them from the rest of the flock to try and isolate mites (although I assume I will have to treat them too).

So basically Im wondering if anyone has any good ways of treating scaly leg mites on chickens with very fluffy feet, thanks in advance!

Hi, recently discovered scaly leg mites in my Silkies (3 of them each about a year and a half old). I would say the amount is moderate as there are several crusty spots, but nothing is hindering their movement or behavior (I have noticed them doing little coughs/sneezes frequently, though) other than that they are very alert/comfortable. I have researched scaly leg mites for non-feathered feat and was wondering if techniques are the same for feathered feet or if there are tips I should know for treatment. I am only interested in natural remedies, no pesticides yet. Also how quickly do leg mites progress, and do they often infect other areas as well? Can they kill them? I currently have acv in water (hoping to clear up their little coughs) and feed them herbs from the garden like rosemary and basil. They are mostly free-range, but I have separated them from the rest of the flock to try and isolate mites (although I assume I will have to treat them too).

So basically Im wondering if anyone has any good ways of treating scaly leg mites on chickens with very fluffy feet, thanks in advance!
Soak there feet in warm water to loosen up any scabs or rather poop that the mites will leave on there feet, then apply vasoline or what I use is used cooking oil and soak there feet in the cooking oil or rub the vasoline on there feet, you have to basically sufficate them.

Once you get rid of them, then try to make it a habit of soaking there feet once or twice per year. I to have silkies as well as Cochins..

And will this completely get rid of them eventually?

You will have to clean there coop area really good. I have heard some used diluted bleach for me I will just clean everything out, clean out the nesting boxes and put fresh bedding down. I also spray the coop down with Oxine although Oxine doesn't get rid of mites, I do it to disinfect the place.

Once I'm done with that I sprinkle 7 dust all over the place. I know you said you don't care for pesticide so your gonna have to do a really good cleaning.. Scrub down what you can with soapy water and replace what ever you can.

I used Vaseline every day until there legs start to clear up. Once you suffocate the little buggers, its road to recover. The problem with Vaseline is everything will stick to it, so if they are outside the grass, the dirt will all stick to there legs but it really works well just Soak there legs in warm water each night and reapply. It wont take long to get rid of them if you catch it early..

Thank you! How long should the Vaseline stay on? Or how long until I reapply it? Should I do this for one or two weeks?

I keep the Vaseline on all the time, until it's time to reapply which you want to reapply each night before bed time. If you put it on and wipe it off, your not going to suffocate them.. your just basically cleaning there legs and the idea is to suffocate those little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom