Scaly leg mites on brooding Australorp hen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 10AcreChick, May 17, 2016.

1. 10AcreChick

10AcreChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    Central Missouri
    A few months ago my Australorp got a case of scaly leg mites (only one in a flock of 20) and I treated her regularly for a couple of weeks by washing her legs and smothering them with Vaseline. It worked great and she got new scales. I have been keeping an eye on her ever since and was just a couple weeks ago starting to suspect that she was getting them again. Was just pondering starting her treatment again when she all of a sudden went broody. She's my first ever broody and so I wanted to take advantage of it, put a dozen (hopefully) fertile eggs under her and separated her from the rest to her own pen. She is doing an awesome job. But should I worry about the (possible) scaly leg mites? Or will brooding smother them? Or will it hurt the eggs? I'm guessing a Vaseline treatment would definitely not be good for the eggs, as it would clog the pores and introduce bacteria. And make for a nasty nest.

Any advice on this would be helpful. She doesn't seem to be in bad health at all, so maybe three weeks without a treatment wouldn't hurt anything?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd be tempted to treat her with Ivermectin. Read some of the scaly leg mite/Ivermectin threads and make your decision. Brooding will not smother the leg mites if she has them, and Vaseline would not be a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by