Scaly leg mites or old ugly,crusty legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadyWoodsong, Sep 16, 2010.

1. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Sorry for the rant.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    maybe he doesn't have BYC to help him out. [​IMG] Maybe he doesn't know any better, believe my I've met ppl like that. some ppl just don't know, and they repeat what they've been told. Yes, it sounds like scaly leg mites. Keep the legs smothered in vaseline like he said, or vicks vapo rub is used too.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like scaley leg mites, and kinda sounds like he knew that. He sure as heck knew one of the treatments.

4. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    I would be upset also, but look at the bright side....
    Those chickens are finally going to get the treatment and attention that they were probably lacking.
    Scaley leg mites can become very uncomfortable for the birds, so I imagine they're probably miserable.
    I'm not sure if I would refer to them as "diseased" because of the mites though. Even the cleanest and happiest chicken can pick them up.

I actually just noticed the beginning signs with my girls, and my vet confirmed it with a skin scraping.
    I've had all mine since they were young (never added to the flock) and they have always been pampered. They are kept in a run when I'm not home and let out to free range in a secured area when I am home.
    So, I believe scaley leg mites can be picked up in any setting.

At least you've done the right thing and kept them separate from yours to prevent it from spreading to them.
    The only real way to help avoid the mites is preventative dusting... which is something I have not been good about.

It WILL be part of my routine to dust the coop every time I clean it from now on.

Best of luck to you.
    I bet once you get the mites cleared up, you'll have a beautiful and happy flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by