Scaly leg mites? Or something else?

Pics

renk777

Songster
6 Years
Apr 28, 2017
East Coast, NJ
I have a FBCM. He's the only feather legged bird we have and the only one with this issue. I've been treating by soaking in soapy water with neem oil for 20 min and then rubbing oil and petroleum jelly over legs. It's not improving...but not getting worse either.
20180422_090951.jpg
20180422_091014.jpg
20180422_091201.jpg
20180422_091241.jpg
20180422_091248.jpg
20180422_091426.jpg
20180422_090954.jpg
I read that some Marans have lifted scales as a result of the feathering. ...and the pink? Not sure. ..read some birds have pink legs. But this is dark pink. He's always been a feather picker so I don't know if the 'irritation' is a result of his habit or if his habit began because of irritation. Outside of legs is concerning...but that's where the feathers are. Inside of legs is clean. Thoughts?

Sorry, I have zero experience with this (or scaly leg mites). Watching to hopefully learn what's going on.

Not sure if this will help others advise - but what concentration of neem oil are you using?

Sorry for the troubles. Good luck!

No, that doesn't look like scaly leg mites to me... they would cause more of a keratin growth coming out from under lifted scale.

My FBCM does seem to have some little hint of red under his leg feathers... But I AM treating for lice. :hmm

Maybe regular mites or lice??? You can check under vent feathers and see if you see clumps near the base that look like dirt clumped on. That would be lice eggs. If so... my preferred treatment is Permethrin spray. It's affordable, effective, safe, easy to use, requires no withdrawal time for eggs when used according to label, and labeled for use in chickens...
TE006407

Under $10, lasted my flock of 82+, 3 large dogs, and 2 large goats for 2 years. I bought to keep the mosquitoes of my animals and discovered the multiple benefits. A spray under each pit, right below the vent, and to the nape of the neck.

It's true that sometimes hormones make some legs pinker and that some just look pinker... but that looks like hamburger to me... not JUST pink.

I'm not sure your "soapy water" is working TOGETHER with your neem oil... since soap breaks up oil. :confused:

Also... scales are skin. Some will lift and be replaced as the birds age. So I agree that a lifted scale doesn't HAVE to mean SLM. (scaly mite)

So this doesn't look like typical scaly leg mites to me, but then again my first feather foot is only 6 wks old.

How long have you been treating him?

I know once we got leg mites under control I had a few hens peck thier scales off leaving a similar but not a rough apperance.

I'm thinking it might be time to turn from treatment methods to recovery methods. Perhaps just antibiotic ointment daily to prevent infection and reduce irritation. Maybe even an Epsom soak .

That part the worries me though is the feather folicals look really angry, I'm thinking I know the mites dig into the feather folicals, I'm thinking the mite debre might be irritating him and possibly cuasing infection.

I would personally keep the legs hydrated with petroleum jelly or an antibiotic ointment for now both would continue to smooth any mites. And remember a bad case can take a long time to heal. Did you treat the rest of the flock also? And the coop? The do soread rather quickly and all should be treated even worth out noticeable damage.

Sorry, I have zero experience with this (or scaly leg mites). Watching to hopefully learn what's going on.

Not sure if this will help others advise - but what concentration of neem oil are you using?

Sorry for the troubles. Good luck!
I just do a splash...not very good with measuring anything...just go with my gut...even when I cook! But I mix a few drops in with the veggie oil after the soak aND apply and then cover with PJ to help it stay a bit longer. ...

No, that doesn't look like scaly leg mites to me... they would cause more of a keratin growth coming out from under lifted scale.

My FBCM does seem to have some little hint of red under his leg feathers... But I AM treating for lice. :hmm

Maybe regular mites or lice??? You can check under vent feathers and see if you see clumps near the base that look like dirt clumped on. That would be lice eggs. If so... my preferred treatment is Permethrin spray. It's affordable, effective, safe, easy to use, requires no withdrawal time for eggs when used according to label, and labeled for use in chickens...
TE006407

Under $10, lasted my flock of 82+, 3 large dogs, and 2 large goats for 2 years. I bought to keep the mosquitoes of my animals and discovered the multiple benefits. A spray under each pit, right below the vent, and to the nape of the neck.

It's true that sometimes hormones make some legs pinker and that some just look pinker... but that looks like hamburger to me... not JUST pink.

I'm not sure your "soapy water" is working TOGETHER with your neem oil... since soap breaks up oil. :confused:

Also... scales are skin. Some will lift and be replaced as the birds age. So I agree that a lifted scale doesn't HAVE to mean SLM. (scaly mite)
TY. I thought the same but was at a lack as to how to describe. 'Hamburger' is spot on. Though it's not raw or fleshy as I'd expect red skin to be...and the red only developed in the last couple weeks...prior to that, they were just greyish. So thinking hormones + feather plucking bird? I've checked flock for mites and lice. ..all birds are clean. It's so strange. As for the oil + soap, that's my strategy! I want the soap to break up the oil into smaller particles so that while he soaks, more oil can reach the mites as neem interferes with the life cycle and both suffocate :) I then apply veggie oil with neem in it after and coat with the petroleum jelly. Thought if it was mites, they'd be gone. He's been like this since the fall....just not red. And no other bird has mites. And now the red...so odd! But I'll check my stash. I might already have that spray....if not, might benefit me to keep it on hand!

And no other bird has mites.
Some mites... like the SLM and depluming (not what I think you have) are microscopic... so you will NEVER see them, only their evidence.

Other mites... like red roost... don't live on the bird and ONLY come out to feed at night. I would think you would see the Northern Fowl mites if that was it.

I hope you do get this figured out! I know it's frustrating.

Truly best time to check is with a flash light a couple hours after dark, parting feathers near the vent and on the abdomen and look for things running away. You also never chase a bird that way! :)

Studies conducted in CA, showed that 90% of parasites were hosted by 10% of the birds... even among the same flock. We don't all have the same immunity strength and weaknesses, I guess. I took a hen to the vet to confirm no bugs... which he did. I came home and checked the vent of a rooster that was leaving that same day and he was crawling with them. :hmm

I also thought of suggesting the Epsom soak... but wasn't sure if it would be like adding salt on a wound.

I'll be watching and hope you get some more helpful answers. And I hope he starts to recover quickly... :fl

So this doesn't look like typical scaly leg mites to me, but then again my first feather foot is only 6 wks old.

How long have you been treating him?

I know once we got leg mites under control I had a few hens peck thier scales off leaving a similar but not a rough apperance.

I'm thinking it might be time to turn from treatment methods to recovery methods. Perhaps just antibiotic ointment daily to prevent infection and reduce irritation. Maybe even an Epsom soak .

That part the worries me though is the feather folicals look really angry, I'm thinking I know the mites dig into the feather folicals, I'm thinking the mite debre might be irritating him and possibly cuasing infection.

I would personally keep the legs hydrated with petroleum jelly or an antibiotic ointment for now both would continue to smooth any mites. And remember a bad case can take a long time to heal. Did you treat the rest of the flock also? And the coop? The do soread rather quickly and all should be treated even worth out noticeable damage.
I've been treating him for a month. Previously, I just kept an eye on it since the lifted scales didn't seem irritated and were near feathers...he's been this way since Autumn. It wasn't a fast change....just started noticing some lifted scales. I've checked other birds all throughout the winter and none displayed anything similar. But about a month ago, I started noticing pink and suspected he really did have mites and started treating. Nothing has changed except the color as the weather warms up...so I don't know if it's hormonal or warmer weather making mites more active...or both? What antibiotic do you recommend?

Some mites... like the SLM and depluming (not what I think you have) are microscopic... so you will NEVER see them, only their evidence.

Other mites... like red roost... don't live on the bird and ONLY come out to feed at night. I would think you would see the Northern Fowl mites if that was it.

I hope you do get this figured out! I know it's frustrating.

Truly best time to check is with a flash light a couple hours after dark, parting feathers near the vent and on the abdomen and look for things running away. You also never chase a bird that way! :)

Studies conducted in CA, showed that 90% of parasites were hosted by 10% of the birds... even among the same flock. We don't all have the same immunity strength and weaknesses, I guess. I took a hen to the vet to confirm no bugs... which he did. I came home and checked the vent of a rooster that was leaving that same day and he was crawling with them. :hmm

I also thought of suggesting the Epsom soak... but wasn't sure if it would be like adding salt on a wound.

I'll be watching and hope you get some more helpful answers. And I hope he starts to recover quickly... :fl
I love Epsom Salts but worried it would hurt which is why I chose the soap and neem. I'll try checking him at night. ..he's my baby so I don't need to chase him but it'll help check the roosts and such for mites and his vent for anything I might have missed during the day. At least I have some ideas now of what else to look for and possible actions to take. He's such a good bird; it hurts to see him this way :(

Back
Top Bottom