scaly leg mites...please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I was following the directions on soaking a scrubbing the bird feet. I pulled off one of the BIG dead scales and it was bleeding a little underneath and there was a hole under the scale. Did I hurt my rooster or should I try to get all the big ones off like that?

2. Jonathanq1

Jonathanq1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Delaware
    I had this same problem with an older hen I am also curious about this.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think maybe wait until the scale wants to come off by itself? (Kinda like a scab?) In the meantime, maybe put some Neosporin on the sensitive part...

4. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I have never taken any off - I smother the whole leg in petroleum jelly and that seems to heal everything back on!

5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Thanks! I will just do the jelly then.

6. Jonathanq1

Jonathanq1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Delaware
    Great idea I will do the same.

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    As I was cleaning his feet an putting on vasoline I noticed that he has a large red sore on the top of his foot like a huge pimple! Any ideas what that is and what to do about it!??

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:Not sure about that but try the vaseline as it is good at healing sores and stuff!

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Bumble foot maybe.

For scaly leg mites, my mother used vicks vapor rub. Some people use vaseline. I use WD 40. They all work, but it is easier to apply the WD 40.

Rufus

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Here is a copy of threehorses' excellent advice to another:
    copied from this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2740856

=First, soak the bird's legs in a solution of warm water with some epsom salts in it to soften the scales. Mites are actually burrowed into the skin of the leg and are causing irritation and build up of stuff which is raising the scales and irritating the skin. The soaking softens up the stuff. You then use a toothbrush to scrub at the legs to remove whatever build up you can. Pat the legs dry.

Then you can either use ivomec 1% injectable topically on the legs, or you can use pour-on ivermectin 5% cattle wormer on the bird - IF - your birds have been wormed within 6 months with a broad spectrum wormer.

Personally, I'd recommend the scrub, worm your flock with wazine 17 (piperazine 17) in the water, and use olive oil on the legs or VetRx daily for 2 weeks then worm them with the pour-on ivermectin (generic, 250ml bottles are the most affordable option). Worming all the flock with ivermectin will kill external parasites as it's likely other birds in the flock have mites but not signs of it yet on the legs. But you have more than one option there.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by