1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scaly Leg Mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puffypoo22, Jan 7, 2017.

1. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    We have a buff brahma hen who has awful looking legs, they are very thick and scaly. We were told when we got her that she had those legs just because she was old. But I am seeing legs that look like hers that are 'definitely leg mites'. Is 'old hen' an excuse?

This chicken isn't mine, nor is this my photo, but they are basically what our chicken's feet look like. Since we have no photos of my chicken.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She may have a mild case of scaly leg mites. Chickens legs do often become scalier/rougher looking with age, though. I would probably treat your hen (just in case it is scaly leg mites) by rubbing Vaseline or another oil/oily substance on her legs to smother the mites. Or, you could apply a few drops of topical Ivermectin to her skin, which will kill external blood sucking parasites (including leg mites).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by