Scaly leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Patoot, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    One of my four girls died very suddenly this week. She was a little over 2.5 years old. In attempt to figure out what might have caused her death, I googled a lot and then searched her body thoroughly. Her feathers are pristine. There are no signs of bites on her body near the base of her feathers, no evidence of critters near the vent, no feces near the vent, no loss of feathers, and no redness of the skin that I could find. She was a beautiful bird with the prettiest feathers of the four. Nothing obvious at all. I examined her feet and the only possible thing that I could see is that they very very slightly resembled some pictures of scaly leg mites that I saw. That said, it doesn't really look like it. When she died, her toes/foot curled back so that the part of the foot that is usually the hinge (base of the leg/top of the foot) was exposed more if that makes sense. It is only there that I could see a very very slight lifting of the scales, but no redness, no swelling, no irritation of any kind. I checked the other four girls this morning and I don't really see anything that looks irritated, swollen, red, or overly scaly. I mean they have scales on their legs, but they don't look different than they ever have that I can tell. If I post a pic, would you be able to tell me if this is a road I need to go down?

I'm just trying to make sure Matilda died for no apparent reason because 1. I want the other girls to be okay and not suffer the same fate if there is something I can do to prevent it, and 2. I really don't want her death to be my fault. :(

I don't see mites or lice evidence in the coop. I clean out the nest box if they poop in it, but other than that, I use the deep littler method...or I thought I was. When I was reading more last night, I'm wondering if I'm not actually doing it right. I just periodically throw new shavings on top of what's in there after I rake off the clumps of poop. The girls scratch it all up. It doesn't smell. There are only 4 (well, now 3) of them in a large coop. It's not very deep though because the girls scratch it up and throw it right out the door. I figured as long as it wasn't stinky, it was fine for them. The coop door is always open so there is a ton of ventilation (but no breeze on the girls themselves). I really feel like it's clean enough, but I'm doubting myself with everything since Matilda's death.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated. I really don't think it's leg mites, but I'm what-iffing.

Thanks guys.

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I am no expert, but sounds like your doing the DLM correctly. And no signs of anything on her body. I wouldnt think she would die from a mild case of leg mites. Maybe it was something she ate? or genetic? Everyone else seems healthy? Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by