Scaly Leg Mites?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

We just got this girl yesterday and were wondering if this is scaly leg mites. If it is, how do I treat it?

I can get more pics if needed

2. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Bump

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you get a close-up photo of the leg? It does look like scaly leg mites, or possibly an injury. I'd soak the leg and water to remove any dirt, and then apply oil or Vaseline/petroleum jelly to the leg (this will smother and kill the mites). Apply more jelly/oil every few days, and soak the leg ever so often to help remove the crusty scales. The scales may never return to looking completely normal, but the mites should be gone and the leg looking better in a week or two.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

You can also use vegatable or mineral oil to smother the mites. While soaking the leg, gently scrubbing with a toothbrush can help remove some of the crusty material.

5. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys!

Also, how long does treatment usually take?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Yes that is scaley leg mites. I use baby oil, dip the foot and leg right up to the feathers on her leg. Dip every week until her foot and leg look healthy.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I dip with mineral oil daily or every other day for at least 2 weeks (to stop life cycle of mites). Veg oil will work too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by