Scaly leg on Christmas Eve....I feel for them.

TehLizardKing

Songster
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Lincolnshire
I recently got 3 Lemon Millefleur Sablepoot Cockerals (beautiful birds), and after recieving them, did a routine check just to make sure there wasn't a really big problem like enteritis or something. Everything seemed fine, and I was considering not putting them in quarantine, but luckily for me, I did anyway.

Today, after being very busy, (had them for two days now) I decided to check them properly. After washing some muck off their legs I discovered (in absolute horror) that they had scaly leg. And what's more, the breeder hadn't even bothered to tell me!
he.gif

Now that would be ok if I went and chose them, but on a whim I let him come out to MY HOUSE and he brought them with him!
I AM SO MAD!

Anyway, after the anger had passed, I realised that they werent actually scratching at the legs, and only the smallest one (I think this is attributed to bullying though) looks a bit off.

I also read somewhere that they only shed the scales on the moult after they get rid of the mites.....is this true? because if so there might be nothing to worry about.

Also, are there any cheap, DIY cures that actually work that I could use? I don't want to hurt my boys, but it would be good if I didn't have to go out on a three hour hunt for mite killer on Christmas Eve.
smile.png

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, and thanks for bothering to help some poor cocks in distress!

Cheap. and effective.......use vaseline! Smother the legs up to where the feathers start, massage well, both in upward and downward motions - the vaseline will smother the leg mites and kill them. It may take a couple of applications but the raised scales will fall off and new ones appear ( it can take a few weeks ) Use gloves when applying the vaseline - it is messy and wear old clothes as the vaseline will stain clothing - Good luck

Suzie

Thank you so much! I was fearing the dreaded 'hunt for a place that actually sells chicken products'. It's raining incessantly, but it's just kind of light drizzle...is it ok to do it in the rain? or should I wait until it stops. I fear it may last for a few days...
hmm.png

Rain does not matter to the treatment - the vaseline will also waterproof their legs! Go ahead and treat now!

Good luck

Suzie

Thanks, I was quite worried about that...Anyway, just went out to 'vaseline' them, and I think it ruined our friendship for a while (One boy escaped and I had to chase him round the garden
sad.png
). Ill have to break out the mealworms again!
Do I apply the vaseline every day? or just weekly....I'm not looking forward to it, but if it will help them, I'll do it!
hu.gif

Vaseline will last for a few days, however I do not use surgical spirit.Once every few days is OK for vaseline alone, some people recommend only one or two applications are necessary to resolve the scaly leg mite problem, I tend to treat for longer, sometimes for a week or two to ensure the problem has gone from their legs.

You are gong to have a "Messy Christmas"!

Suzie

Is this Lincolnshire in the UK? IF so it will be wet, muddy and rainy for the forseeable future - that is why I left England!

Suzie

Yes, I am in the UK...and kind of wishing I'm not. The weather is disgusting. Thanks for the answers too, It made this problem a lot easier. I'll wait for another day to Vaseline them.

Back
Top Bottom