Scaly leg or not ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kala98, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Kala98

Kala98 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    Ireland
    [​IMG]
    Hey I have a 2 year old hen and for the 6 months her legs have been this
    I originally thought it was scaly leg and have tried different things to get rid of it like bathing her legs in warm water with garlic and what not and putting Vaseline on her legs and clear out he coop regularly but nothing has worked
    She is not at all bothered by it it seems and she lives with 4 other girls who have not caught it off her
    Would anyone be able to confirm if it is scaly leg or something else and if u have any other ideas as to how to fix it that would be great

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, that is leg mites. Once a week, I would bathe her legs in warm soapy water and gently rub the scales with an old toothbrush. Then use an oil, such as castor oil and rub it into and under the scales once a week. Castor oil lasts longer, and is less messy. This treatment needs to be repeated with or without the foot bath once a week for a couple of months until new skin grows in.

3. Kala98

Oct 3, 2015
    Ireland
    Thanks for that advise
    I've heard of purinng surgucal spirits over the legs can work well have u heard of doing this or if it's safe or not

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't think the alcohol will kill the mites. Oil is best to smother them. Many use petroleum jelly, olive or vegetable oil, mineral oil, or others, but the castor oil is less messy. It is found in stores with laxative products. Regular use is probably the key. Some people have used kerosene or gasoline to dip the legs and dry them to kill the mites and mite eggs. Then vaseline is then used to soften the scales. I just don't care for the idea of using something toxic on them myself.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. GoldenFarms

GoldenFarms Just Hatched

Jul 14, 2016
    Just had to chime in here... I also don't like the idea of gas on my chickens' legs. I have been using virgin coconut oil to kill mites and lice for awhile now. It works on leg mites but you have to stay "at" it. Just rub it like you would the vaseline. It has an acid that dissolves the eggs and kills the mites instantly. However, it takes many, many weeks to get those leg mites because they hide up under the scales where you can't get them. Hate those little suckers!

6. Kala98

Oct 3, 2015
    Ireland
    Thanks for all the advice
    Yes I agree I don't think I would put any gasoline near their legs
    Oil it is so
    Fingers crossed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by