scaly leg

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by racepondUSA, Nov 2, 2010.

1. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    wats the best way to get rid of scaly leg i have to bantams i seperated them but the medicine i bought from the feed store didnt work any ideas on wat to do??[​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Here's what the Merck Vet. Manual says about scaly leg mites: "Individual birds should be treated with oral or topical ivermectin." Do you know what you used?

3. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    Quote:ivermectin like for a horse?

4. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    i use an oil

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Yes, it is used for horses and it's also used for poultry. Do a search for ivermectin and scaly leg mites for the various methods of applying it (I haven't had this particular problem yet). Good luck!

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I like any type of spray containing that Scarlet Red stuff.

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

topical... WD40 alternating with $1 store spray vegetable oil... daily for 2 weeks and then periodically after that. Ivermectin will help with it but takes longer to see results. Oil softens scales and they can be rubbed off so results can be seen sooner. Is it a pain to do it daily? Yep... but the results are worth it! I was stupid and some of my girls lost toes to this before I knew any better... never again!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've used the horse Ivermectin (single dose for horse will last you forever if you keep it sealed up)...squirted tiny bits into little pieces of bread and fed to a little d'uccle we took in w/leg mites. But we also soaked his feet in warm water (used a soft tooth brush to gently brush his feet/legs) every other day, dried, and liberally coated with vaseline. He actually liked the soaking after we'd catch him and hold him in the warm water, but he never like the vaseling....lol. We did that for a week and a half, and his feet still look great!

9. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

The vegetable oil and vaseline should work great and is probabely the route i would go! My parents raised chickens for years and what they did was to dip the chickens feet and legs in used motor oil (This is probabely not a great idea today because we use to many synthetics in our motor oil) That was the old school way for farmers 4o years ago!!

10. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    thinks for the ideas ill try them out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by