Scaly legs?

Oreoandhens

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
Bedford, United Kingdom
Hello everyone. This morning when I went down to our chickens I noticed our pekin cockerels yellow legs didn’t look so yellow and seemed very dry and scaly. All the other hens seem fine and legs look normal. I’m wondering is this scaly leg mite? This is all new to me as we’ve been fine before. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

If it is hopefully you are noticing it in the early stages. Do you have photos to share? I am just learning, but have been dealing with a feather footed chicken with scaly leg mites. Its not fun and I feel even worse for my poor chicken to have to go through it.

If it is hopefully you are noticing it in the early stages. Do you have photos to share? I am just learning, but have been dealing with a feather footed chicken with scaly leg mites. Its not fun and I feel even worse for my poor chicken to have to go through it.
I’m just not entirely sure as we’ve also had temperatures drop and pick up again very often so I wonder if it could be the cold weather just because he seems completely fine as well as the hens. Oh I can imagine the pain.

Here are some pictures I just took

Attachments

• 53D36C7C-2B89-46B5-BA46-93403A677598.jpeg
    53D36C7C-2B89-46B5-BA46-93403A677598.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 14
  • E69ADEE7-49D9-47AC-BD21-9375DD59846C.jpeg
    E69ADEE7-49D9-47AC-BD21-9375DD59846C.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 14
  • A8C8AABB-E653-47D3-839D-0B7C8862C705.jpeg
    A8C8AABB-E653-47D3-839D-0B7C8862C705.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 14
  • A4A03051-EE03-46FA-A0CC-D5C2C3B8D118.jpeg
    A4A03051-EE03-46FA-A0CC-D5C2C3B8D118.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 14
Here are some pictures I just took
I am 100% not an expert, but that looks like leg mites to me. My feather footed chicken looked like that too and I finally realized my poor boy was suffering. You can do natural treatments that wont hurt him either way just to be on the safe side too if you are unsure. I know I wish I would have started natural treatments earlier.

I am 100% not an expert, but that looks like leg mites to me. My feather footed chicken looked like that too and I finally realized my poor boy was suffering. You can do natural treatments that wont hurt him either way just to be on the safe side too if you are unsure. I know I wish I would have started natural treatments earlier.
That’s the only thing I can think of too. We soaked them in some soapy, warm water then dried the feathers and applied some olive oil on them.

I did the oil treatment every other day and also applied Vaseline or A & D cream to their legs to help keep them moisturized and also to suffocate any more mites. I cleaned the coop with an organic poultry spray. But my most recent treatment, I used Elector PSP. It is really expensive but you can use it to treat mites and lice directly on your chickens and also the coop. There's no egg withdrawal and you only need to treat once every 10 days for 2-3 treatments. You have to dilute it so it lasts a really long time. My roo was limping he got so bad so I was desperate and spent the money. I have read a lot of great things about it so it was worth it for me.

Back
Top Bottom