1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scaly legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kkowa, Oct 9, 2013.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    my modern game hen has a form of scaly legs the mites are gone but her legs a very sore what can I do to help? can I soak them in Epsom salt to help with it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you positive the mites are gone? They can't be seen usually. Are the scales still raised? Soaking in warm soapy water and gently scrubbing with a tooth brush is useful before putting on a layer of oil or vaseline. I have read that castor oil is excellent since it has to be applied less often and does a great job of softening scales. It is also quite inexpensive.

3. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I am 100% postitive they are gone I had it tested by a vet and she said they were

4. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always used a spray from the pet store specifically for scaley leg. It has soothing and healing properties in it and is roughly £6.00 so not too expensive.
    Other than that I think the anti peck 'purple' spray has an antiseptic in it.
    Poor bird.
    Hope she gets sorted x

5. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always used a spray from the pet store specifically for scaley leg. It has soothing and healing properties in it and is roughly £6.00 so not too expensive.
    Other than that I think the anti peck 'purple' spray has an antiseptic in it.
    Poor bird.
    Hope she gets sorted x

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try the epsom salts. They work on other chicken ailments. I used to soak my horse's foot in them for weeks, and he would break all of my buckets because it burned his sore hoof.

7. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    Ok after I soak it should I put vasaline on them an rap them?

8. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Wow, that sounds almost exactly like what I do for my poor cracked heels. [​IMG]

9. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    how long should I do this for? it does not seem to be helping

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Just apply the Vaseline , don't bother wrapping. Depends how badly damaged the scales are. Make sure you massage the Vaseline between the toes and right up under the " skirt ".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by