Scaly mites in pekin bantam breed

Stino12

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
Newcastle NSW Australia
Hey guys,

One of my girls looks like she has got a nasty scaly mite infestation. Which majorly blows because I put together 2 "flocks" 2 days ago. Anyways, what do I disinfect the coops with? And how do I fix the girls up? I've read soooo many different remedies but I'm not sure on he best one for my pekins since their feet are covered in feathers. Any advice?

Also can this pass to my indoor parrot? Should I be treating her too?

And the cat? 😅😂

Attachments

• 20200916_164810.jpg
    20200916_164810.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 65
Scaly leg mites are a bitch in feathered feet.

I've treated my flock for a few months and the silkie and pekin have got it worst, while the polish and wyandotte have completely got rid of them and grown lovely new scales.

The latest thing I did (as I also found fleas) is to spray the coop with permethrin flea spray (kills all bugs), and gave the chickens ivermectin spot on (kills bugs and worms), alongside the DE in the bedding and oily foot rubs every week. The oil spray bottles are good for feathered feet because you can get inbetween the feathers down to the skin better than with your fingers and solid grease.

I have a pot of oil I've been trying to work out how to dispose of so I figure I'll just dip them every day 😂😂😂 I havent been hearing good things about DE so I'm staying away from it. Ivermectin kind of scares me since there's relatively little research into it. I'll call the vet tomorrow though and have a little chin wag. I was looking at all their feet and there's so many hiding spots for mites even if the foot is healthy 😅 I should have checked their feet when I got them but I didn't think about it and their little feet are hidden by all the feathers. Such a pain! I knew they'd be alot of work but I wasn't expecting this much 🙄🤣

I still use DE (diatomaceous earth) in my chicken's coop and run, especially nesting boxes. This helps prevent them, I haven't heard anything about DE (I'm out of the loop).

I would think you should wash it?? I don't know.

I still use DE (diatomaceous earth) in my chicken's coop and run, especially nesting boxes. This helps prevent them, I haven't heard anything about DE (I'm out of the loop).

I would think you should wash it?? I don't know.
So, I may be wrong and totally open to corrections but from my very basic understand, DE is made up of silica which when inhaled is bad for our lungs because it builds up and can cause respiratory damage. So it would be the same for chickens lungs. There's a really good thread I found when I was searching through them but I'm on my phone so I can't find it atm.

So, I may be wrong and totally open to corrections but from my very basic understand, DE is made up of silica which when inhaled is bad for our lungs because it builds up and can cause respiratory damage. So it would be the same for chickens lungs. There's a really good thread I found when I was searching through them but I'm on my phone so I can't find it atm.
OHHHH ok I have heard this. When I put it down, it's dusty and I wait for the dust to settle before letting my chickens out.

I have used DE for years and had no problems. I don't dust the chickens with it, just sprinkle under the bedding when I clean out the coop.

I bought ivermectin for pigeons on Amazon. Doubled the dose for my bantam chickens who are obviously bigger than pigeons!

You need to do your own risk analysis. Is the actual harm of them having lice, mites, fleas, worms worse than any potential side effects of the medicine or treatment?

For example I know that every time I take antibiotics that my gut is going to suffer. But I need the antibiotics to cure the infection, which could be fatal if not treated and turns to sepsis, or could turn into pneumonia or kidney failure (depending on the illness) So i take them!

Back
Top Bottom