scare-a-crow for hawk protection??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Howards, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok this may be a silly question but has anyone tried using a scare-a-crow to keep hawks away? Was it successful?? I noticed a hawk sitting in a tall tree in my neighbors yard today, it flew away when I went into the backyard. Just wondering if it might work? The girls have trees and a shelter to hide under, i would like to avoid putting up netting if something else will possibly work.

2. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    I tried wires and shooting any hawks i could, only thing that truly solved the problem was putting chicken wire over the whole run and making sure all the gaps were closed. in less then a week we lost over 30 young birds to the hawks around here.

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Not a silly question! I have heard that few times ! I have NOT heard from other people if its working. I dont have that problem here yet. Go ahead and make one ! also, some people put fake owls on top. still I dont know if that works too?!! I prefer putting nets on top of pens.

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We had an owl decoy in our garden. -successful at keeping the mockingbirds away from the strawberries. We have hawks circling, regularly, and the owl doesn't seem to phase them a bit. -no harm in adding a scarecrow to your yard. -can't hurt. We decided to go ahead and add a covered run for our flock so they can roam without worry of hawks (while we're not outdoors). I let them roam the yard when someone is out. They love it so much!

5. The Howards

Thanks guys... I am going to give it a try. Their coop area is 40x30 (1200 square feet) so I will have to rig up some kind of 'netting' if the scare-a-crow doesn't discourage hawks.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have tried it all. Plastic owls, scarecrows, CDs, MILES of string all criss crossed throughout the yard (actually this worked the best, but looks like crap)
    Reflective tape. The only thing this stuff does is make ME crazy.
    Not much seems to work.
    Once they find the all-you-can-eat chicken buffet in your back yard, it is very hard to get them to leave.
    The only way they won't get eaten is to cover the runs.

And try to encourage crows to visit. I know, I hate crows, too. But so do hawks.
    Crows like corn, and peanuts.

Good luck!

7. The Howards

HAHAHA, attract crows. I have no problems what so ever with that one. They hang out and feast on the dogs food all day long. I think they hear the door close in the mornings when I go out. Suddenly, I hear their laughing cries and the tree in the back yard begins to fill.
    Thanks for the info on your experiences. Hubby is saying we should just go ahead and net it too.

8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    In the end it will be the least expensive. Netting isn't cheap, but if you don't buy all the other crap, you will be ahead.

9. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Shotgun shells are cheap. Had to shoot and tag another hawk this morning. didnt harm the flock, but it was stuck in the wire. me 10 hawks 0

10. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

Some folks will tell you that 10 hawks will take that one's place! Of course I don't believe such malarky....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by