Scare crow

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nancysmith2, Sep 21, 2009.

1. nancysmith2

nancysmith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I was curious if anyone has tried a fake human to deter hawks. Maybe a stupid question but I am curious to know if anyone has tried making a dummy. Hawks move on when I am in the yard. They don't stay around long once they spot me. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the subject. Be kind.

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Not sure if it would deter hawks. Maybe if you moved it around a lot and they wouldnt get used to it in the same place. We have a scarecrow only to gratify DH's Halloween fetish. [​IMG]

3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Yeah, makes sense in theory, problem is they realize very quickly that the "human" isn't moving and learn that it's no threat to them. Maybe one of those motion activated halloween characters they are selling now (or soon will be). [​IMG]

4. nancysmith2

nancysmith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, actually that is what I thought about is a moving dummy of some kind. Or move it myself every day or so. I know they are smart so it stands to reason they may not chance it b/c they are so smart.

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Aren't hawks more concerned with crows than people? Maybe real scare crows...

6. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Your scarecrow idea could work, make sure there are some things on the scarecrow that can move with the wind, wind chimes nearby too for noise. Combine that with the movement and moving it around frequently may help.

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Seriously, I can't find the web source now, but there was either an article or a forum discussion about attracting crows by feeding them dog kibbles, and since crows are very defensive about their territory to hawks would always chase off the area hawks. I have watched crows many times mob a hawk or owl and drive it off. Just a weird thought today, one of many.

8. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    How do crows and chickens get along? Not sure I want a murder of crows in my chicken's ranging area!

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we have crows around and they don't go near the chickens.. but the hawks will grab a chicken not more than a couple of feet from you. don't think a scarecrow will work if they are that brave to attack next to you.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Crows will kill chicks, but they usually coexist well in an area with full grown hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by