Scared, aggressive hen, what should I do?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I have 10 pullets and 1 cockerel who grew up together since day 1. Now they're 22 week old and free range all day.
Recently, I was bit twice by a pullet when I was walking with treats surrounded by all the chickens.
Since then I noticed that the pullet that bit me is very scared of other chickens, especially the cockerel who often chases only her away from the flock. He's nice to other chickens and me.
So she's often alone and even when she's with the flock she keeps her distance and runs away before anyone can peck her.
When I approach her she also gets scared and looks confused whether she should charge at me or run away. When my husband and I walk near her, she repeats charging at us and retreating.
She looks a bit crazed.
I've been trying to give her more treats and gentle with her since she bit me.
This morning, after I let the chickens out I happened to walk by her casually because I didn't realize it was her. I was still sleepy. If I had known, I would've been more careful for myself and her.
Anyways, she bit my foot quickly and ran away to a safe distance.
I wonder if she'll ever get better even if I keep trying to be extra nice to her. She's not accepted by the cockerel and it might be giving her constant stress. She goes into the coop to eat only when no other chickens are around.
Would it be better for her to be rehomed and get a second chance with new chickens?
I haven't seen her being chased or pecked by other pullets so she might feel safer with a flock without a rooster.
But I want to keep her if she'll have even more difficulties with a new flock.
Any suggestions?

This is a tough one. Chicken behavior is a broad topic, and chicken temperament is complex, composed of genetics and environmental stresses. It's not going to be easy dealing with this, especially since it appears she has both aggressive tendencies and self confidence issues. Sort of a bi-polar chicken.

In my experience, aggression is more of a genetic issue, and self confidence issues are more flock stress related. (Environmental) Aggression is best dealt with with discipline and training. The timidity is best dealt with by providing security and safety while the timidity is replaced with self confidence. Perhaps this will also mitigate the aggression somewhat. I have a hunch it may.

So, here's what I suggest. Whenever this hen comes at you to peck you, peck her back on her head or back with one or two fingers sort of like your hand is a beak. Do this consistently every time. It needs to hurt a little, but not hard enough to injure.

The timidity is addressed by my program for bullied chickens. It's outlined step by step in my article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Both of these approaches work well but only if you are committed to the program and follow through consistently. It's going to take work, but in three or four weeks, this hen could have very different behavior.

This is a tough one. Chicken behavior is a broad topic, and chicken temperament is complex, composed of genetics and environmental stresses. It's not going to be easy dealing with this, especially since it appears she has both aggressive tendencies and self confidence issues. Sort of a bi-polar chicken.

In my experience, aggression is more of a genetic issue, and self confidence issues are more flock stress related. (Environmental) Aggression is best dealt with with discipline and training. The timidity is best dealt with by providing security and safety while the timidity is replaced with self confidence. Perhaps this will also mitigate the aggression somewhat. I have a hunch it may.

So, here's what I suggest. Whenever this hen comes at you to peck you, peck her back on her head or back with one or two fingers sort of like your hand is a beak. Do this consistently every time. It needs to hurt a little, but not hard enough to injure.

The timidity is addressed by my program for bullied chickens. It's outlined step by step in my article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Both of these approaches work well but only if you are committed to the program and follow through consistently. It's going to take work, but in three or four weeks, this hen could have very different behavior.
Thank you so much for your advice. I actually have read your article a few days ago and been planning to set up a space for her.
I totally agree with your opinions about her aggression and lack of self confidence.
She has that look of an unstable, crazy person in her eyes... When I'm near her she constantly makes wild, anxious noise. It must be generic.
As I said before, I've been trying to give her treats and talk to her softly when I see her alone. She seemed less scared of me but still looked confused about whether she should attack me or run away from me.
At least she seemed a bit more comfortable being around the flock and the rooster didn't chase her away even when she was near him.
Today I got scared of her again though. I gave her some treats and watched her eating them off the ground. Then when I moved my foot backwards a bit she immediately responded to my movement by coming towards me a few steps as if she would attack me. She reminds me of a sacred but viciously barking chiwawa.
I froze on the spot until she moved a bit away from me because I didn't want her to peck my bear legs.
I will try to peck her with my finger if she comes at me to attack. I don't want her to get scared of me but I think she needs to learn that she will get consequences if she pecks me.
I'll keep working on her and let you know how it goes!

I had a rooster a long time ago that would bite me every time I made a sudden movement near him. I finally figured out he was skittish in this one particular way, and I went out of my way to slow way down when I was near him. But when he bit me, he would get disciplined in the fashion I described to you. It took a long time, nearly a year, and he had turned into the most well behaved rooster I could have imagined.

And wear jeans and shoes or boots out there! No reason to be or act scared of a chicken, she may pick that up too. Calm movements on your part make a difference, and that 'peckpeckpeck' immediately when she tries to peck you, fast as you can, until she moves away.
One of our 2021 pullets is very bold, and the first ever that we've had who pecked hard often! It took a fair while, but being consistent, and I don't hand feed, has made her bold in a polite way. Once this spring she bit my jeans hard from the rear, and we had another 'chat' about it, but that's been her only misbehavior this year. I would have been wounded if she got my bare leg!
Mary

I had a rooster a long time ago that would bite me every time I made a sudden movement near him. I finally figured out he was skittish in this one particular way, and I went out of my way to slow way down when I was near him. But when he bit me, he would get disciplined in the fashion I described to you. It took a long time, nearly a year, and he had turned into the most well behaved rooster I could have imagined.
It's a long time but still sounds hopeful!

Yes
And wear jeans and shoes or boots out there! No reason to be or act scared of a chicken, she may pick that up too. Calm movements on your part make a difference, and that 'peckpeckpeck' immediately when she tries to peck you, fast as you can, until she moves away.
One of our 2021 pullets is very bold, and the first ever that we've had who pecked hard often! It took a fair while, but being consistent, and I don't hand feed, has made her bold in a polite way. Once this spring she bit my jeans hard from the rear, and we had another 'chat' about it, but that's been her only misbehavior this year. I would have been wounded if she got my bare leg!
Mary
Yes I'll be more careful to wear long pants around her. Now it's not that hot thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom