Scared by Owl and hurt - treatment?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rigelc, Feb 12, 2011.

1. rigelc

rigelc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Hi,

I am new to Quails and California. I had a group of 4 Quials that were killed by a raccon, I improved the cage and this time they were scared by an Owl that landed on the top of cage. One of the Quails probably bounced till it started bleeding. I don't know what to do. I cleaned a bit and put it alone in a cage. I think there is a chance it can ide or survived. It;s not eating and seems sad and sleepy. Probably has a massive headache. What can I do? [​IMG]

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:I would bring it inside in a small crate/cage. Keep it warm and hope for the best. Its most likely shock and just needs time to recover. Maybe use a syringe to feed it some luke warm water? just be careful not to stress even more.

Nice warm quiet place will help.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would bring it inside in a small crate/cage. Keep it warm and hope for the best. Its most likely shock and just needs time to recover. Maybe use a syringe to feed it some luke warm water? just be careful not to stress even more.

Nice warm dark,quiet place will help.

i agree with the nice warm quiet place but don't force feed it anything. put water where it's easily accessible ,and peek at it every now and then but don't pester it. It may have a concussion or even brain damage or shock ...when a bird is in shock the ,dark,quiet ,warm place is most important.

4. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    i scared my button once and it popcorned and hit its head on a wire top which gave it what i believe was a minor concussion after a day or two he was back to normal

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They heal up pretty quickly on their own. Just put it in a dark place with food and water, no need to force it cause it will not starve itself to death. And put a top on their cage so they can't see the big bad owl when it lands there [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    What can I do

PREDATOR CONTROL [​IMG]

7. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Do what everyone else has told you,a nice warm dark place with some sugar water will do it wonders.As for preventing this happening again I recommend putting barbed wire or something else spiky on top of the cage so when the owl lands it will get a nasty suprise.

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:PREDATOR CONTROL [​IMG]

All you need is some welded wire panels, granny's old single shot 12 ga, a head lamp, and some 00 buck. I prefer me leaning out the bedroom window with my bow. That's why the pens are all within 30 yards of the house.[​IMG]

9. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ohh boy,the tree huggers are gonna come now.

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Wow, 00 buck on a hoot owl, Robo wantin to get it done... Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by