1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scared chicken, won't come out of nest box or coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lancasterflock, Nov 3, 2015.

1. lancasterflock

lancasterflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I recently added two new pullets to my flock. After quarantine I turned them loose in the backyard with my flock. The cuckoo maran got along very well with the other girls actually I haven't noticed one of them peck at her. However, the cream legbar is TERRIFIED of all the other girls ( other than the buddy she came with ) and will NOT come out of the coop....let alone the nest box. I know she isn't broody because she was running about freely when I got her and in quarantine her behaviour wasn't that of a broody. Does anyone happen to know what will help her not be such a "chicken" ?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's quite common, I wouldn't worry too much, she will come out on her own time as she gets more comfortable and familiar, she is obviously the bottom hen now and it's best she avoids the others for now so she doesn't get picked on.

3. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon

Thank you Oldhen, that gives me some relief. So will she just eventually come out of the coop one day? I've given her yogurt mixed with crumble and a water dish. She ate the yogurt and crumble like she had never eaten in her life, I got out to check on her often. She's very sweet to me, I just wish the other ladies could see so too! Lol

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think after she understands all the politics of your flock she will feel a bit better and will start to venture out.

I like giving my bottom hen treats than standing guard like a rooster would, mine will hide in the donkeys hay trough, I think we all feel like defending them but it has to be someone, the next time you add hens she won't be bottom anymore, and after she starts laying she should be a bit more confident. Keep making sure she eats and drinks for a while.

She is bottom hen because she's sweet, top hens are usually pushy and bullies, it's just the nature of the pecking order.

5. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon

Thank you! That helps me to better understand. I will continue to do the treats and try not to worry so much about her. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Make sure she gets food and water during the day. Good luck!

7. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Oh yes, she has her own food and water dish :) and thank you Lynne!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by