Scared Chickens!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SconnieChicks, Jul 30, 2013.

1. SconnieChicks

SconnieChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    I have had an issue with a coon killing a few chickens while we were away for a long weekend. Now my chickens do NOT want to go back in the coop at night. I let my chickens free range all the time and they used to go back to the coop every night no problem before this. I have since caught and relocated one coon and am keeping a live trap set every night to try to catch anymore. I have boarded up the door going to the run where the coon got in but now the chicks have found refuge roosting in out Lilac bush at night. and 1 more got killed from there. Tonight I got them all into the coop and secondary run and am wondering how long it will take for them to feel "safe" again at night so I can let them free range during the day without having to try to catch them and get them in the coop ( I am far to out of shape to wrangle chickens anymore LOL). They seem a bit frightened in the closed up coop yet. I am thinking of keeping them contained for a few days and hopefully by the weekend be able to let them free daily again.
    Any suggestions?????

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'd put a light in their coop (even a battery operated one) that turns on when you want them to go in, to encourage them to go toward the light.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I too have a light on in ny coop for them to go into at dusk, then it goes off after dark. If they are skittish still from the raccoon attack a red 25 watt bulb would be soothing at night, and let them sleep.

4. SconnieChicks

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    Put a red light in tonight, thanx for the ideas[​IMG]

5. SconnieChicks

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    put a red light in and we have 6 out of 8 coming in at night, hoping the 2 will follow suit shortly[​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

O2cool! [​IMG]

7. SconnieChicks

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    Still have 2 chicks that refuse to roost in the coop at night. The other 6 go in no problem every night now but the 2 roost in the Lilac Bush and we need to go grab them every night and put them in the coop. Any ideas??

8. ChickensAreSweet

If it were me, since that would be getting old really quick, and since there are only two holdouts, I'd confine them to a dog crate/carrier inside the coop for two days with food and water, just so they get the idea they are supposed to live inside the coop. This may work, believe it or not.

But there are no guarantees.

(For example, if you have free rangers that lay eggs everywhere, if you confine them to the coop for a week they may begin laying eggs in the coop.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. SconnieChicks

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    Ok I left the chickens locked up in the coop and run for 4 days. Let them all out to free range this morning and all was good until bedtime when the 2 hard headed chicks did not go to the coop again. Had to go get em out of the lilac bush again.
    Anyone have any other ideas or do I just let them be outside at night until cold weather comes? [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

Well you certainly get an "A" for effort!

[​IMG] I think I'd cover the lilac with a tarp.

So sorry I don't have any more ideas. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Eggcessive are you there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by