Scared chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kerbouchard, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    How long does it take for hens to get accustomed to people? They will eat treats near me but freak out if I try to pet them.

It's been about two weeks. Just wondering when they start to calm down. I bought them from the 6-10 week pen.

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chirping

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    my chick is the same as your but is now starting to calm down I have owned it for a little over a month now just handle it a lot and it will change the chicks perspective of humans

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Patience is the primary word...these young pullets are obviously stressed still. They've been moved from their original surroundings to a pen for sale, and now to your new surroundings at their new home. You are doing the right thing to offer them treats...do you hold them in the palm of your hand or just toss them to them? I would hold them in my hand and sit down at their level...talk to them softly telling them it's okay, etc. It may take several days but if you repeat that process at about the same time each day they'll eventually come to you. If they do don't immediately try to pet them, it'll just spook them again. As I said earlier...patience .. it's a virtue. Wishing you all the very best!

4. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Songster

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    It depends on the hen. My Dirty Birdie won't let anyone touch her, but Mary Poopins seems to enjoy being petted. The others are everywhere in between.
    [edit] It depends on the personality of the individual chicken, regardless of age or sex. :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    I try to feed them by hand, but they won't take it unless I put it down. Guess I'll keep trying and hopefully, they will get less skittish over time.

6. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Songster

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Yes, keep trying for sure! Do you have a run or other enclosed place you can sit on the ground with them? If so, try sitting with them and placing small, thin slices of red grapes a few feet away from you. Move the grapes closer and closer to you as they get more comfortable. As iwiw60 stated above, it takes patience. It may take several weeks. Remember to be still and speak softly to them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: