Scared Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NanoByte, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    How come my pekin duck is scared of me heaps?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could we have a little background?

Sounds like you may be willing to work on the relationship [​IMG]

And ducks can get very standoffish sometimes.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hey Nano - [​IMG] from down in Melbourne...Nice to see another Australian on here.

I have a pair of Pekins as well as Runner ducks- And while they dont tollerate being held at all - they dont run away from me. Mine are between 3- 4 years old so they have been around a while and have learnt that I am the one who brings food.

How old is your duck?? Was it hand raised- or did you buy it as an adult already fully grown?? Its always easier to keep ducks tamer with constant handling from a young age- Of course - sometimes that doesnt work either. Food is one way people use to win over the trust of their ducks.

I have some ducks who will walk up and sit in my lap- and others who I have to corner to catch- all raised the same way- sometimes it comes down to the temperament and personality of the individual duck.

4. NanoByte

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    We bought it when it was 2 weeks old.

I have recently got it to eat out of my hand but if i make any sudden movement, it steps away.

5. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I'd say just keep working on it! Getting it to eat out of your hand is, in my opinion, one of the main stages of bonding. Keep hand-feeding it and spend lots of time with it. Patience and persistance is what you need to have [​IMG] Also, I see you said your 'Pekin', do you only have one? If you do, it may be easier for you to bond with it than if you had loads of them [​IMG]

I got my 4 female runners when they were around a month old, I spent lots of time with them, handled them quite a bit and got them to feed from my hand and now at around 10 weeks old they're pretty good! A lot better than when they first came [​IMG]

6. NanoByte

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    Its funny because i dont have any other pekins, but i do have 8 chickens. The duck follows them everywhere...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by